Thursday, June 15, 2017

Art Camp for the Kids/Week Off for Joia!

June 5th through 9th, the kids went to their first (days only) summer camp!

It was at the Art Park here in Wichita and included:

PE
Drawing classes (they could choose from four options each day)
Dance (gymnastics, hip hop, flag twirling, etc)
Music

They were there from 9-4 every day....which meant a lot of free time for me! =)

On Monday I ran some errands, picked up Chipotle and met Philip for lunch, came home, napped, watered the flowers, picked up the kids and swam at a friend's house.

Tuesday I met up with a friend for coffee, donated blood (double reds for the first time!), had a fun solo picnic at Riverside Park, took Roger to the dentist, picked up the kids, had dinner, went grocery shopping and did laundry.

Wednesday - had some quiet time at a park before meeting my friend, Wendy, and then we went to two thrift stores, met our friend Liz for lunch, went to another thrift store (got a bunch of cute stuff!), picked up the kids, had dinner and swam at Wendy's and then dropped Keenan and Moriah with Philip at First Wednesday and brought Caleb home to bed.

Delicious lunch at Cafe Maurice

Haha!   Check out this amazing outfit I found at one of the stores!

Thursday, I dropped the kids off, picked up a book (recommended by a friend) at the library and went to Santa Fe Lake (that I just discovered online and is only 25 minutes away!), did a short hike, found a secluded spot on the water and read, sunbathed, napped, and picnicked... ALONE.  

A "couch" carved out of an old tree

Pretty waterfall!


Peaceful hiking trail


My spot

The only thing that disturbed my peace at all was hearing/seeing a snake rustling in the leaves and into his hole...and then seeing a water snake swim by three feet from my feet dangling in the water!


Once the sun got too hot, I moved with my book into this spot... aaah

 Mid afternoon, I came home, showered, picked up the kids and met some friends for the evening and had dinner at a park.

Friday was Such a great day!   It started out a little differently than planned, since Keenan felt sick and I wasn't comfortable taking him to camp.   He came with me to a dentist appointment and then was feeling some better, so he tagged along with Wendy and I for the day.   We were planning to hit up a bunch of garage sales, but decided to start with a big church sale we had heard about.   When we first walked in, I was a little "underwhelmed", but picked a few things from some jewelry they had and then wandered over to the clothing section.   About ten minutes after got there, (since it was the last day of the sale), they announced that it was now "1$ a bag for everything!"   Wendy and I nearly lost our minds.   We were in the zone.   Keenan just kept bringing us more bags and then paying for them and carting them out to the van for us.  I filled SIXTEEN bags with clothes for the kids, myself, shoes, purses, a wallet and a few home goods things.   We were there for 2.5 hours and shopped right through lunch time, so Keenan was starving and begging for us to be done.   He had been such a good sport and help to us that we decided to take him to Chick Fil A for lunch.   We were on cloud nine!!   

This is what I got for $16:

I figured that, after separating my stuff out... I paid 12.5 cents for each of my things =)

I was Super excited to get a "Willow Tree" couple for next to nothing...now we have our complete family! =)

After lunch, we went to one more sale (where I bought a beautiful formal dress for $8 (worth about $140), picked up the kids, and they swam at Wendy's house, while she did my hair and then the kids went to the Pennys while Philip and I went to a KAFP (Kansas Academy of Family Physicians) banquet.

Ready to go

Needless to say, a perfectly Splendid week for me and a blast for the kids, too!


Caleb loved his art leader, Zack, and took him something every day - this is what he gave him on the last day =)

Here is some of the cool art they came home with all week!!   I was really impressed with the quality of the projects they did:

 Keenan's

Moriah's

Caleb's

We highly recommend the camp at the Art Park!

2 comments:

The Woodfords said...

Ummm, that's sounds Completely idyllic! Yay you!! What a great opportunity for your kiddos, and at the same time having some time by yourself. So happy for you, Joia!
XO Steph

Mom W. said...

So glad you had this week, the art projects were all so good and Yay for all the great stuff you got, I am so jealous ;)