Tuesday, October 27, 2015

First Crockpot Freezer Meal Prep Session!

I've been meaning to do some freezer meals for like, ever.   It seemed like it was going to be such a hassle, though, compiling all the recipes and then figuring out a giant grocery list.... Until I found a great link on Pinterest where she did it all For me!    I chose 7 Kid-Friendly meals that could be made for $75 and it included the recipes and a detailed grocery list!   Bam!   I was in!

Keenan helped me shop (and we spent $72.75 for our 7 meals), and Moriah helped me prep them all!

We made a great team!

Moriah was a big help!   She peeled carrots, cut up bacon, grated cheese and carrots, measured spices and opened cans!    We had fun!    The first meal we made was the Chicken Pot Pie, which skipped the freezer all together and immediately went into the crock pot for that night's dinner.

One of the most fun parts was making the Mozarella Stuffed Turkey Meatballs!

Hunk of cheese and a meatball...

...shove it in there...

...and it's buried...in meat!

Mmmm....

 All done!   1.5 hours (and 10 minutes to clean up and do the dishes) later we had Six meals ready for the freezer and one in the crockpot!

First up - Chicken Pot Pie!

Our whole family Loved this and gave it two thumbs up!   It's definitely a "make again!"   It was the perfect amount of food for the five of us.  The only thing I would change next time is I would use 1/4 tsp instead of 1/2 tsp of pepper.   The recipe suggested crushing Ritz crackers over top.   The rest of the family did this and said it was great!

 Second - Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Pesto Meatballs

These were amazing.   Soo cheesy and delicious.    I made my own pesto.  Philip and the kids had wild rice and green beans with this, I had zucchini.   Will definitely make again.

 Cheesy inside

 Third was the Turkey Black Bean Chili
(I subbed in kidney beans in place of one of the cans of black beans since my kids prefer them)

My kids love chili and they declared this the best chili they'd ever had. =)   What I loved was that I didn't have to brown the meat or anything - I may never make chili the same again!

Number Four - Chicken/Bacon Tater Tot Casserole

I know what you're thinking... this sounds delicious, but it's probably terrible for you!    While it may not be The most nutritious of these meals, it's not bad.  Unlike most tater tot casseroles, there's no canned "cream of" anything soup in this, just cheese, milk, salt and pepper.   We all LOVED this.   The kids said, "It's better than cheesy potatoes!"  Which is just about the highest compliment you could pay any food in this house.   The addition of bacon to anything does kind of puts it over the top. =)  I had salad and the kids had green beans with this.

 Number Five - Chicken Noodle Soup

This was a great soup!   The broth was very flavorful and the egg noodles were yummy.

Number Six - Chicken Tacos

I used only about half of the taco seasoning in this because we don't like spicy.  It was perfect.   The meat had soo much flavor!    I made yellow rice as a side for this and I had my chicken over a salad.

Last One - Beef and Cheesy Tortellini 

The kids loved this.   Philip and I thought it was okay.   The sauce could have used more spice and the cheesy tortellini wasn't as flavorful as I had expected.   Still a good meal.   I think next time I'll skip the tortellini and make the beef into spaghetti sauce in the crockpot.

So... yes, I will definitely do this again.   Maybe these same meals, or I'll mix it up and try some others!

Here is the link for all these kid friendly meal recipes and shopping list!


3 comments:

Mom W. said...

All look so yummy, don't the egg noodles have flour in them, and the tortellini? Just wondered how that worked for you. The cheese stuffed meat balls looked so good.

Mark and Rebekah said...

Hey! I have the same apron :)

I LOVE this idea! I only wish we lived close enough to get together and work on something like this at the same time. We could make a party out of it :)

You are so blessed to have a daughter to help you with this! Moriah is such a sweetie :)

Love you both!

Kathleen said...

This all looks so yummy. I'm wondering the same thing as your mom about the egg noodles and tortellini. So sweet that you had Moriah there as your helper.