Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Days Twelve and Thirteen - St. Louis and Ashland!

Man, I'm ashamed at how long it has taken me to finish up these trip posts!

Here they are, the final two days of our wonderful "CAN/MI/MO Summer Family Vacation of 2015!"

On Friday, we drove from Grayling, MI to St. Louis, MO!

We surprised the kids with a trip to the Arch.   I had been up in it as a (young) child, but Philip had never been, and we thought it would be a fun thing to do on our way through!   It was!

On the short walk to the Arch from our hotel

So awesome

I love that we were able to set up this shot!
Philip leaned the camera back on one of his shoes to get this angle =)

The Ole' Mississippi!

Ready to go up!
(I remember the cars being this small, but as a child, it didn't bother me... as an adult, I realized I have a tiny bit of claustrophobia!) =)

The kids looking out the windows at the top

It was super cool to be able to see a Cardinals game going on!

 That's our hotel right there with the flag on top

 Such a great city!

 At the highest point in the middle!

 Down some steps to get back on the tram to go down (we came up one side and went down the other, so we can say we did the whole thing!) =)

Fro Yo on the walk back!
(You can see a carriage in the background - there were Lots of them!)

After a good night's sleep, we had breakfast at the famous Goody Goody Diner.   It was Fantastic!!   We will Definitely go back when we are in St. Louis again!


We got to put a pin on our city on their map!

All of the kids spent a Ton of time coloring their pictures beautifully, which made for an even better breakfast experience! =)

We drove a couple of hours to Ahland, MO to where two of Philip's mom's brothers live on a joint property.    I had never been and Philip hadn't been in 20 years, so it was great to be there!

They have multiple feeders hanging outside their dining room and we saw 12 to 15 hummingbirds at a time out there!

Marie laid out a Beautiful spread for lunch - some of it was fresh from their garden!

Uncle Hank and Aunt Marie on the left, Uncle Dave, Aunt Pat and Hannah on the right

Aunt Marie was soo sweet about entertaining the kids!

After lunch we drove up the driveway to see Uncle Dave and Aunt Pat's house:

The kids loved Hannah's treehouse!

Caleb spying on us with some homemade binoculars he found

Happy on the big swing!

Moriah, Marie, and a pretty cat

Hannah with a snakeskin they found in the tree house!

Caleb and this cat were Adorable playing together with this stick!

Doll house supreme!

Uncle Dave took us for a quick drive over to see the Missouri River up close!


A quick snap of Uncle Hank and Aunt Marie before we left

We hadn't seen any of this family in quite some time and it was very special to get to see them in their own homes and to be blessed with their hospitality!    They are only about five hours away, so we will likely plan more visits on our way home from trips North!

3 comments:

Mom E said...

So glad you took the time to visit with my brothers. Their farm is such a peaceful place. I loved all the pics & thought it was so cute how focused Caleb was in the one pic where Marie was entertaining the kids on the floor. The last time I was there was with Debi @ Geoff's wedding. Dave took us in the arch & that was my first time. I'm sure it meant a lot to them that you took the time to visit.
Love, Mom

Mom W. said...

Good pictures with family, memory makers for you all but good for the kids to see family!!

Mark and Rebekah said...

I love the picture of the arch behond your family (the one on Philip's shoe.) I enjoyed St Louis but found the arch a little scary... The cars were really small and when I was at the top (which was pretty small too) I felt like I was swaying. Haha. I was glad we did it though. I'm not sure where these old age fears are coming from :)