Thursday, May 28, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend, Etc.

Here are some pictures from our holiday weekend and the surrounding days:

The kids made a new friend, Min, who has a little motorbike!


I think Moriah especially looks so grown up on it!

This was a thrown together dinner that turned out to be a winner!

We had the Pennys over on Monday and did a cookout.   I made two flavors of homemade ice cream:

Strawberry was the only one that got a picture, I also made Cookies and Cream...

...and Philip and I did ribs for the first time on the grill!    I made a rub which we put on the day before and let it sit, then Philip cooked them for an hour and a half, then slathered them in honey, then steamed them in apple juice, and then we served them with homemade BBQ sauce.  They were AMAZING!!   (I had them for breakfast on my birthday) =)

Philip took the kids to Lego club on my birthday while I went shopping.  This is what they made.

I went to Whole Foods, Bed Bath and Beyond and Ross... here are a few of my favorite random purchases! =)

As part of our endeavor to eat healthier foods, I decided the kids and I should each choose one new food from the produce section so we could try them out!    

Keenan played it safe and chose the orange cauliflower (it tasted exactly the same as white).

I chose the large "Jicama" (mexican potato).   It was very strange!   The peel, once you cut into it, could be pulled off in large chunks!   I then used my new mandoulin and we made fries out of them, which were quite good!    You can also eat it raw (it's crunchy and a bit sweet), in salads, etc.

Caleb chose the star fruit.    Moriah and I were the only ones that liked it.  I don't think it was quite ripe.

Moriah chose the Asian Pear.   Not sure if it was ripe either, it was a bit like an apple, crunchy, but a bit bland.


All in all, a good experience!

We found this guy headed across the street towards our house the other day and put him back near the pond.  I think he's a Western Painted Turtle

A delicious lunch of mine, quinoa chicken burrito bowl!

I bought myself a harmonica!   It has been SO much fun to learn to play (I still have a long way to go).

2 comments:

Mom W. said...

Never heard of a Mexican potato, it will be interesting to see what Steph's comment on that is. Have you tried fried ripe plantain? It is really good!!

The Woodfords said...

You are brave, trying so many new things! That quinoa chicken bowl looked delicious - yummy! So, I bought a jicama the other day, thinking of your blog post, and then I came back to take a look at what you'd written!! =) I like them, but no one else in our house really does, so I don't get them too often. I've never heard it called a potato before, or heard of it being cooked - but that sure sounds good! We eat them cut up like carrot sticks, and they are generally served with fruit like melon and pineapple, then they are eaten with a special chili powder for fruit sprinkled on them. The one I just bought was really large (there were no other options), and I found it wasn't as tasty and sweet as usual. I like that they are so juicy, and that there isn't any after taste. I've never had plantain here in Mexico (I don't think), but we had it in Panama and I loved it!!!