Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014

Philip and I started the day off with the "Say Grace 5K", the other half of the Double Gobble challenge, after the Turkey Trot on Sunday.   It raised money for Grace Med, "a Christ-centered health care ministry."   Their mission statement is "To show and share the love of Jesus Christ by providing compassionate, accessible, high quality health care for residents of south central Kansas."  They have eight sites around Wichita.

It was a chilly morning (below freezing at the start of the race), and our friend, Becca, braved the cold to join us. =)
Becca and I at the finish

Philip and I
Philip ran a PR of 27:28 and I did it in 27:40

The medal

It was a fun event and I think we will make it a tradition for any Thanksgiving that we are here... it's a great feeling to start of the day burning at  a decent amount of calories, before eating a bunch! =)

We hosted my first American Thanksgiving today!   It was so much fun!   Eight of our new friends joined us for the evening!

Moriah coloring on the fun kid's tablecloth

Concentration

Cute acorns the kids and I made

The adults table:



These are acorns I collected on our hike back in the middle of October... sure I would do something fun with them =)

This "plank" is borrowed from a package of extra wood flooring in the garage

I wrote thankful messages on the table and each person's name under their plate

I decided to brine the turkey this year.   I never have before, and have never had a problem with it being dry, but I have heard great things about brining and thought I'd give it a try!    I submerged the turkey in a gallon of ice water, a gallon of vegetable broth, one cup of kosher salt and half a cup of brown sugar for about 24 hours in a 5 gallon bucket in the garage, where it was cool.    It certainly was nice and moist and delicious! =)

Kids table - Jonah and Cora in the back

From the left: Ben, Kelly, Becca, Brandon, Aaron and Melissa

Becca made this amazing  Peanut Butter Fudge Pie with Salted Peanut Butter Caramel

Leaf shaped cookies (I checked these cutters out from our library - how cool is that??)

I made pumpkin pie bars

Melissa, Aaron and baby girl Olsen
(Sorry Aaron, I think I caught you mid blink!)

Ben and Kelly

So thankful for this guy!

3 comments:

Mom W. said...

Hey for Grace Med, awesome, awesome, and American Thanksgiving!! Good friends and good food, never heard of the brining method, I'll have to try it!!!

Mark and Rebekah said...

I love the table cloths. Did you buy the one for the kids' table? I love the adult table decor too. Good use for the acorns. Were the plates disposable? Or do you have clear plastic plates? Either way, I love what you did, and I'm glad you guys were able to have a good time :)

Bethany said...

Fun! Brining is Amazing!