Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Sao Miguel

After a four hour flight from Boston, we arrived in Sao Miguel at 7:00 am (local time), but 2:00 am our time.    Philip got about two hours of sleep and I got almost none.   The frustrating thing was that they didn't turn off the lights on the plane and act like it was nighttime!    They left the lights on, people were talking, and then just as everyone was getting settled, they decided to serve a hot meal!

I don't think we look too bad!

Haha!   The bathroom doors in the airport cracked me up =)

We had an 11 hour layover in Sao Miguel, so instead of sitting around, going nuts, we rented a car and decided to see as much of the island as we could!

Our tiny, funny car! =)

My first thought about the island after leaving the airport was how LUSH it was!!   Everything was sooo green!   My second thought (because it was so mountainous) was "Wow, we Sure aren't in Kansas anymore!"

Wow

Then I thought... I'm not sure I've Ever been somewhere so beautiful!

This is how I imagine Ireland looking!   (Apparently it's not this gorgeous, though!)


The hydrangeas on Sao Miguel are OUT OF CONTROL!!!    I doubt there is another place on earth with so many.    We saw them by the Millions, everywhere, lining the road, on top of hills... everywhere!


Lagoa das Sete Cidades
(Lagoons of the Seven Cities)
Unfortunately, this was all fogged over (though still Beautiful!)
There is a town and some lakes down there


Hydrangeas!!

They came in just about every color possible!


The beautiful path that lead to a geocache =)

This fern was too cool


These cows were coming up the path as we were coming down!   So fun!

Everything is covered in green!!

A cracker that says Sao Miguel on it =)

Some fun transportation

The narrow streets were crazy with signs we didn't understand, one way streets and a confused GPS

Next we went to a Gorgeous park (Parque Jardim António Borges)!!

Check out this Indian rubber tree!

We're so cute =)

There were stairs and paths and tunnels everywhere - so cool!


Not sure what these were for... they look dungeon-ish to me

This bridge was super cool!

Philip way up there

Gorgeous!

My handsome man

Philip had to book it to get around in time after setting the timer!  Ha!

Bamboo

Overlooking the middle of the island

This shows the narrowest part of the island - 7.5 km wide



Lagoa do Fogo
(Lake of Fire)

One of the prettiest things on the island


Hot spring!


I work out...

The view from the restaurant at lunch

We briefly visited the almost 500 year old Fort São Brás in Ponta Delgada...

Super old street

This was docked outside the fort (the João Roby)

Pretty harbor

I loved this old hallway!

How cool is this??


Then it was time to head back to the airport...

Boarding our last flight... yup, that is the ocean right back there

On to see Josh and Rebekah!!

6 comments:

The Woodfords said...

Oh my - how absolutely gorgeous!! What a fun time, with just the two of you, too!! Amazing pictures! Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Love to you both,
Steph

Mom W. said...

Beautiful, reminded me some of Africa and Dominica, the Hot Springs look like Emerald Pool in Dominica!!! It seemed like there should be some hobbits around on those paths!! =)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I remember thinking that too when I arrived. SO GREEN. Then, I realized WHY it was SO green ... because there is SO much rain! Ha!

Bethany said...

So GORGEOUS!!! What an awesome place to have a long enough layover to explore!

Joia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joia said...

From Keenan - I love the view in Sao Miguel! Good job on your post.