Thursday, January 16, 2014

We're Not in Kansas Anymore...

...but we were on the weekend!

Philip and I flew out to Wichita, KS kid-free (thanks, Devin and Melissa!) so Philip could interview for a teaching position in the residency at Via Christi.    They paid for everything, which was really nice.

Flying without kids was pretty weird (and awesome!)

Our hotel room was totally amazing...

Most of one wall was a window

Living room

Bathroom/kitchenette


Up the stairs to the LOFT!

Gorgeous bedroom

Looking back down...

...another full bathroom with a MASSIVE tub!

View from the hotel at sunrise down the Arkansas river

Yes, we totally did this

The gorgeous lobby

While Philip was busy with interviews all day Monday, I had a leisurely bath, relaxed and walked or drove all over town, taking pictures!

I Loved this sculpture!

I think it's made out of old car fenders!

It was huge!

Our rental car - a KIA Optima Hybrid - it was fun!

Some of my photos:

Pigeons in the parking garage

A buffalo smooch at the Wichita Art Museum

Another weird sculpture

 I have no idea what this means - there were body parts lying on the ground beside it!

 This was very strange - someone had knitted tiny clothes for all of these!


HUGE coins (see the actual penny?)

Part of the river was frozen fairly solid and I was intrigued by the seagulls sitting on the ice...



I saw Lots of Canada Geese - and caught this guy in the middle of a squabble!

I had heard about a great candy store in town, so I asked where it was and paid it a visit!

The Nifty Nut House

It's very much like Bulk Barn in Canada, but a little fancier - you can't scoop most things yourself, it's dispensed by people behind a counter.   I bought some awesome dark chocolate salted caramel balls,  white chocolate covered pretzels, pear flavored Jelly Bellys for Philip, and some praline pecans.  YUM!   I also picked up some peach slices (that looked almost identical to the ones from Ontario, but the weren't quite right) =0/

This picture totally cracks me up (it's a little blurry because I didn't use flash because I didn't want it to be obvious that I was taking pictures of strangers!)
This is actually the guy's daughter, leaning over on him while she slept - but doesn't it look like it's his legs??? =)

We had a Great weekend and are now waiting to hear if they will offer Philip the job or not.

Home.

How in the world do I have a picture out the plane window of nothing but water, when we were flying from Kansas (almost the center point of the US) to our home, who's airport is not on the water?   Well, when we were landing, we got to within about 15 feet of the ground and had to take off again because there was another plane on the runway!    We got a nice little tour out over Destin and the Gulf before coming back around again =)

2 comments:

Mark and Rebekah said...

If you guys move there, I'm sure there will be a lot of chances to say "We're not in Kansas anymore..." It's been running through my head since you went.
Anyway, it looks like you had an awesome time! I hadn't realized that flying without kids was so much fun. I'll have to make sure I enjoy it more now :)

Mom W. said...

So... did you mean car bumpers? I always get those two mixed up, bumpers and fenders and probably mixed you up too!! I have to stop and think about it every time. Good way to recycle them!! OK, we didn't know Philip was interviewing for a job Teaching, we thought it was just to practice, learn something new on Joia's blog!!!! =)