Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Citizenship Interview and Test

After living here for almost nine years, I've finally gotten around to tackling the whole citizenship thing. Philip (my legal aid and king of all paperwork requirements) has done the lion's share of compiling everything we needed to file for citizenship.

What does it take to become a citizen?  Well, a TON of paperwork, including things you would expect.. birth certificate, marriage license, permanent resident card, etc... and a Lot more too!   Lists of exact dates of All trips outside of the country for the past three years, complete driving record history, lists of all groups I have ever been a part of, etc, etc...

Once all of that was sent in, they scheduled my interview and citizenship test.   The interview basically had me verify all of the above information and the test was to see how much I actually Know about this country that I'd like to be part of.

The book pictured here covers 100 questions about the United States that I had to learn the answers to.


Out of these 100 questions, they would ask up to 10 for the test, but only 6 had to be correct (sounds like a pretty low standard, huh?)   The questions range from super easy ones "Who is the President now?" to more difficult ones like, "When was the Constitution written?" or "Who was the President during World War I?"

I studied and had a pretty good handle on the information covered in the book, but was still nervous!   During my test, these are the questions she asked me: (I think I got a good mix of easy ones and some that were more difficult)

1. How many amendments does the Constitution have?
2. What is the name of the Vice President of the United States now?
3. Who makes federal laws?
4. What is the highest court in the United States?
5.What group of people were taken to America and sold as slaves?
6. Why did the colonists fight the British?
7. What territory did the United States buy from France in 1803?

* I actually got #3 wrong (I said the President, but the answer was Congress - they write the laws, and the President signs them).

There was also an English test, with speaking, reading and writing components.   This part (for me) was completely laughable! =)

The sentence I had to read out loud was....
"Who Can Vote?"

The sentence I had to write was...
"Citizens can vote."

This is difficult stuff, folks.  =)

Next up, I'll get a notice in the mail (likely in the next couple of weeks) letting me know when I can complete the very last step, taking the oath to become a citizen!  Woohoo!

3 comments:

The Woodfords said...

Yay for getting that done, and yay for getting all that paperwork out of the way!! Glad you're almost there!

Love you,
Steph

Mom W. said...

I had to do similar stuff for my Canadian citizenship!!! It was pretty easy too!! I had to learn all the words to the national anthem too, did you?

Mark and Rebekah said...

Mark says, "So Joia's going over to the dark side."