Thursday, January 10, 2013

Books of 2013

Some books I've been enjoying so far this year:

My "Thankful Journal".   This was on my Christmas list and I was so excited to get it!  (Thanks, Jessica!)   It was made by Sarah at  Whimsicals Cards (she's the sister of my friend, Rebekah!)
It is simple, just one line for each day of the year, but I have found it extremely beneficial (and fun!) to write down every day something that I'm thankful for.

My Bible
(Yes, I did.  I painted my Bible)
Months ago I decided to try a new version, ESV, so I bought the most inexpensive one, a simple, hard cover one, and painted it!   
This year (the first one in quite some time), I'm doing a "Read through the Bible in a Year" plan.  The one I'm using is here, and so far is broken into very manageable chunks.   I read in the Old Testament, the New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs every day.  I like this better than just plugging through nothing but Old Testament for months and months on end.


This book was a gift for Christmas from Mark and Rebekah.  I. LOVE. It.   It is filled with stories of people - famous people, regular people...and their radical testimonies and how they came to the place where they wanted the Lord to be first in their lives, and they were happy to proclaim "I Am Second."  At the end of each chapter are links to several films with live interviews with each of the people in the book plus many more!

I've had this book for a while, recommended by my friend, Alaina.  It is excellent.  It covers over 50 different spiritual disciplines (fasting, intercessory prayer, meditation, rest, submission, etc) and how to make them a part of your life as you seek to know Him more.    As I was reading through the list at the beginning of the year, to see what practice might jump out at me,  "Slowing" caught my eye and my heart.   It is the desire to "curb my addiction to busyness, hurry and workaholism, to learn to savor the moment."   Be still and know that I am God.  (Psalm 46:10)
With my current schedule, and difficulty with saying "no" to commitments and opportunities, and with children at such young ages - this seemed like the one for me.   I have been dwelling on it and so desire the fruits of it, such as:
* patience - waiting with grace
* trusting God's unhurried time schedule
* living the truth that love and hurry are fundamentally incompatible
* receiving interruptions graciously
* realizing the work of the Spirit is not an "instant" work

Well, that's my book list for now.   What books have You been enjoying?

3 comments:

Aunt Heather said...

Your journal is beautiful! The other books look interesting. Most in our house use the ESV now too. I think you'll like it. I'm not reading through the Bible this year but I do like the plans where you read at different places and then you only have 1 chapter of a book that is less interesting! I'm reading I Samuel right now with a commentary by Ralph Dale Davis which is excellent. On other fronts I've read The Holiness of God this week with the kids for school. It's by R. C. Sproul and it's great. Normally I would consider the topic a downer or burdensome as one friend says but he comes at it from a very positive angle. He's a great writer and it's an easy read. For pleasure: The Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers.

Jessica said...

So glad you like your journal. I love the idea of it! I read the New Living Translation of the Bible through chronologically last year and it was so great. Haven't decided what to do this year with it yet. We did a whole series on I Am Second at church a couple years ago and it is sooo neat. I didn't realize they had a book. I'd love to read it!

Mom E said...

As usual, your creativity is amazing. I never in a million years would've thought to paint the cover of my bible! It is so pretty. I really like the journal idea. I remember the "I Am Second" series at church too. I used the ESV version when I was reading through the bible. I liked it a lot.