Sunday, October 7, 2012

My First Triathlon!

After two months of training, yesterday was finally the day. It was Tri time.

I got up at 4 AM, full of jitters.   We got on the road shortly after 5 and arrived at the site at about 6:15.

Still dark out!   Getting ready to head over to transition with my bike

The transition area (where everyone leaves all their stuff and you prepare for your next event in)

Josh and Rebekah on their way to the swim

This area was Huge, with close to 1,000 people's gear

When I left transition, I was by myself.   I headed down to the beach in the mass of people.  I was lonely, I didn't know where my friends were, there were waves coming in, and when I looked at the swim course marked out, it looked Forever long... Tears sprung into my eyes and my heart pounded in my chest.  What was I doing here???   * I knew I could swim the whole distance and more nonstop, but when I was training, I always swam 100 yards, back and forth, back and forth, never in one straight line.   It's six football fields long and I was not feeling confident that I could actually do that in the Gulf.

Soon, however, I found my friends (and learned that Jen and Rebekah were both in my swim wave), calmed down, and discovered that the water was pleasantly warm (not freezing as I had feared).  They all assured me I would be fine.

Me and my friends who also participated
(Jen, John, Josh and Rebekah)
(The orange bands on our ankles have timing chips on them)

Me with my fan club, support staff and photographers


Rebekah, my friend and training partner (Mom's rock!)

People lining up for their swim waves

Caleb loved my hat =)

Way, green wave!

On our way down to the water

...and off we go!

So, the swim went Way better than I ever expected!   Once we got out past the waves, it was easier, and at the corner, I sort of got carried around by the flow of all the other swimmers!  The water was clear and beautiful (Not like the nasty water I've been training in!)   The distance, though it looked long, did not take nearly as long as I feared.   

Here I am (trying to run in the sand out of the swim)

Oh yay, there's Philip!

Me in transition putting on my shirt

Off I go for the bike!

The bike route, while mostly flat, was sort of desolate and boring... and the turnaround seemed to Never come!    I did pass quite a few people though, so that was cool.

Coming back in from the bike

2 down, 1 to go!

Run time!  

As soon as I started, my anklet was bothering me, so I was adjusting it here (turns out, that didn't help, as it ended up rubbing my ankle raw in three places


I have Never felt worse at the beginning of a run... I gave everything I had in the swim, then gave everything I had on the bike... and the run got what was left (the goal was to finish, at this point).   

The course was All in the sun and super hot.   The saving part was the awesome people who lived along the course and would come out and cheer us along and play music, etc... it made it much more bearable.

Here I come!
(The time you see posted is the time from when the first swim wave started, so I started about 40 minutes later)

I'M DONE!!!!

Me with my spot in transition

Yes, I'm a Mom And a Triathlete! =)

The sweet finisher's metal

Us in front of the gorgeous beach.. before heading to enjoy the Awesome meal provided by Carrabba's!

Here's the stats:

My time was 1 hour, 35 minutes and 43 seconds.
I placed 611th out of 983 entries.
I placed 20th out of 57 in my age group.
My swim time was 17 minutes and 24 seconds, 670th overall.
My 1st transition was 2 minutes and 33 seconds.
My bike time was 42 minutes and 23 seconds, 402nd overall.
My 2nd transition was 1 minute and 10 seconds.
My run time was 32 minutes and 15 seconds, 649th overall.

It feels sooo amazing to have done this and I am thankful to a lot of people:

To the Lord for a strong, able body (of which I am undeserving).
To Philip, for encouragement, support, taking care of the kids while I trained, and for race day help.
To Josh and Rebekah for suggesting I sign up.
To my brother in law, Matt, a triathlete himself, for encouraging me to go for it.
To my friend, Tiffany, for the swim help.
To Alaina and Kevin for taking care of Keenan and Moriah the night before and during the tri.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Joia! Awesome job!
Cheryl

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

So proud of you Joia!!! I can't remember my exact time when I did it and am not sure if the lengths were the same or not (I know our run was 4.5 but can't remember the rest) but our times were very similar. You used to say, "I couldn't do that!" but you soooo can! I'm looking forward to doing another one (but they don't have any on the island.) SOOOO proud of you!

The Woodfords said...

Great job, Joia!!

Looking forward to seeing you SOON!
Love, Steph

Mom W. said...

Way to go Joia!! You did it!!! Wow!!! I'm so proud of you!!

Mom E said...

WOW!!! Joia!! AMAZING!! I actually had tears in my eyes reading this! I am so proud of you. Especially knowing you had to not only run, but run in pain besides! Congratulations!!!