Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Pesto and such...

This is not a food blog.   I'm not a food blogger, nor am I a food photographer.   However, I Have been making it a point to learn more about healthy eating and preparing some new and exciting things for our family as we commit to getting fit and staying healthy.   Here are a few things I have discovered and enjoyed!

PESTO!!  I liked pesto before, but I like it even more now that I know how to make it, and know that it's a great way to get my kids to eat things like Kale and Spinach and love it!



There are soo many things you can do with pesto.  Here are a few we've tried so far...

Pesto on Pasta (the kids Loved this!)

Spread on a wrap with turkey, tomato and lettuce

Baked pesto chicken with couscous

Another favorite of mine is hummus.    Made from chick peas (garbanzo beans), it's good for you and is soo versatile - eat it on veggies, pita, sandwiches... I also like to use it instead of mayo on my sandwiches/wraps, or in egg salad.

It is also Very easy to make and I pretty much always have some in the fridge.


As if hummus wasn't awesome enough, I stumbled across a recipe today called, "Baked Hummus and Spinach Dip".  Seriously!?   Wow!   I never would have thought of eating this hot, but I tried the recipe (literally ten minutes after finding it), and I am in love!   If you like spinach artichoke dip but hate how much fat is in it, try this great cheesy, creamy, healthy alternative!

Hummus, Spinach and Melty Cheese

... along with my own homemade tortilla chips!


Brush both sides of whole wheat tortillas with olive oil.  Stack them up and cut them into 8 triangle shaped "pie" pieces.   Lay them on a cookie sheet drizzled with olive oil.  Sprinkle with garlic salt.  Bake under the broiler for a couple minutes each side.   They come out wonderfully crispy!

One of my new favorite blogs is: skinnytaste.com   I just came across it a few days ago and have already made several things from it, including Cream of Zuchinni Soup, which Philip and I both Really liked!

Not my usual, but there you go, a few things I've learned in the kitchen in the past week. =)

3 comments:

The Woodfords said...

Mmm, it all looks so yummy!!
xo
Steph

Mom W. said...

Good for you!!

Mom E said...

Oh I am SO hungry right now!!! :) Everything looks SO good!!