Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sharpie Tie Dyed Shirts

So... this project was fun to try, but I don't totally recommend it. =)

I found a blog that made tie dyed shirts with Sharpies, and it sounded fun, so Rebekah and I gave it a try while she was here:

Our blank canvases - a shirt for each kid

First, we decided on a design for each shirt and then just drew them on and colored them in with different colored Sharpies....

I decided to put a tie on Caleb's onesie

 Keenan's shirt - Rebekah did a great job!

Moriah's shirt (a nerdy one for Daddy) =)


The next step was to put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and spray each design...

All ready to do this...

Here goes!

Rebekah working on Keenan's

All sprayed and sitting in the sun to dry
(we were not very pleased with the results at this point and feared that we had ruined the shirts...)

After soaking them in vinegar (supposedly to set in the color) and drying them in the dryer, we went back over the designs and outlined them again.

Finished shirts:

I think this looks like he drooled on his tie and it ran!  =)

At least Moriah's turned out really colorful! =)

Keenan Loves his shirt that Auntie Bekah made!

So, all in all... a pretty fun craft, but the results were not exactly what we were hoping for.   Lesson learned. =)


4 comments:

Mom W. said...

Interesting idea!! Fun! Messy???

Mom E said...

I am surprised they turned out the way they did too. I don't think they were supposed to run like that. But they are cute anyway!

Zubair_Khan said...

I still remember, I got five tie dye shirts as gift on my 5th birthday. Thanks for reminding me that great time.

Johnny said...

Great idea!, looks very fun to do with the kids