Friday, March 23, 2012

Homemade Pizza Pockets

I randomly decided this afternoon that I wanted to make pizza pockets for dinner, even though I've never done it! =)


I had no recipe, so first I went online and found a pizza dough recipe (at cooks.com).  I liked it because it didn't call for yeast.  (I have some, but who knows How old it is) =)  Here it is:


YEAST-FREE PIZZA DOUGH
 from COOKS.COM

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup milk
6 tbsp. olive oil
Making pizza dough the traditional way using yeast takes some planning so the dough can rise. This is not a traditional pizza crust, but if you're looking for a quick fix, this is it!
Preheat oven to 400°F.In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and stir well until the dough begins to form a ball and pull away from sides of bowl.
Knead dough by hand, while still in bowl, until smooth; then form a ball.

*Okay, me again (not sure how to get my regular font back after copying and pasting)....

You can literally fill these things with anything you want.  These are the things I chose to mix and match:


 broccoli, salami, ham, mozzarella, cheddar, red and yellow peppers and spinach

 I used the lid of my grater to make an oval cut out

 Spread it with sauce...

 Top with whatever floats your boat,

 roll up and pinch the edges to seal it shut
(I know, this picture is incredibly disturbing)

 Another combination of stuff

 I decided to brush them with beaten egg before putting them in the oven
(it helps give them a nice golden crust)

 Yes, they look strange - here they are all ready to be baked

Bake them for about 20 minutes (checking on them several times to make sure you don't overdue them).  I brushed them with egg again at ten minutes.

 Hot and toasty out of the oven!

Yum!   My kids even loved them!

2 comments:

Mom W. said...

Yum!!

Mom E said...

Looks so yummy. LOL at the "disturbing" comment.