Friday, February 24, 2012

Mantel Makeover



We have this big, huge brick fireplace in our family room that I love.
However, I'd never really decorated it, because of these:

Two air vents for the fireplace (and an outlet) that are totally in the way!
So, I've just always had a big picture (or 2) up there to hide them.

I was working on a different large painting to put up there, since I was getting tired of Brooklyn Bridge. But when I cleared it off, it hit me that yes, there Could be a way to work around those vents and still be able to have a cute mantel!

I decided to "shop my house" like people suggest. Instead of buying new decorative stuff, walk through every room in your house and collect things that will work with the project you have in mind. I found some good stuff! =)

I covered an empty paint can with the leg of a pair of capris I had that were stained
I love the pocket =)

Numbers seem to be "in" these days. I chose 5 since that's how many people are in our family.
We have a bunch of extra tiles in the basement, so I stenciled one in blue

Terra cotta pots I had sitting around
I did a light paint wash, wrote on them with a sharpie and added a ribbon

This sign in one of my favorite parts.
It was an Anne Geddes print I've had since I was a teenager.
I taped around the picture, painted it blue, and stenciled the word "home" on it. Done!

Scrapbook paper, twine and a sharpie.. =)

I found this frame in the trash a few days ago and painted it.
The fabric is part of an old t-shirt. I pinned it into the frame and then stamped paint circles on it with the end of a paper towel roll.

This clock was handmade by my grandpa and was given to us as a wedding gift.
(It doesn't currently work, but.. it's 5:00 somewhere, right?)
I had a bunch of unfinished wooden blocks in my craft cupboard, left over from a MOPS project several years ago so I painted one coat of white and added letters.

Bam!

Go do it! Shop YOUR house! You'll be surprised what you find!

4 comments:

Mark and Rebekah said...

I absolutely love this! So cute and springy!

Mark and Rebekah said...

I was just looking at this again, and I have to say it's one of my favourite things you've done. So creative. Do you have different ideas for different seasons?
Can't wait to see it :)

Rebekah :)

♥auntmary♥ said...

Your creative juices never stop! Very cute, Joia! xo

Kammy's Korner said...

Ah! Love the paint can with the capri leg!! You rock!