Sunday, February 19, 2012

DIY... or not

DIY (Do It Yourself) books, projects, websites, blogs, tips and tricks have swept the planet (or at least North America) for years, as people have become empowered to make their own crafts, turn junk into treasure and reuse, repurpose and reconstruct things in their home to make them useful or more attractive.

I have been bitten quite badly myself by the DIY bug (as Andrew can personally attest to from his recent visit...chaos!) It poses as a harmless, creative streak that pops up every now and then and usually produces some pretty cool and fun stuff.

However, I've been thinking lately, as much of my time and energy has been taken up with concocting, planning and creating things, that... it's not necessarily "harmless" at all.

What am I getting at? Crafting is bad? No, not at all. On a serious note, I feel like I have let the "DIY" mentality affect other areas of my life. I tend to "do it myself" instead of asking others for help when I'm stressed or sick or overcommitted, I "do it myself" when I am having a rough time with the kids instead of asking other experienced, wiser moms for advice, and sadly, I "do it myself" too often and find at the end of the day that I have not asked for help from the Lord even once that day. DIY or DIHW (Do It His Way)?

What if I spent as much time seeking His Book as I do on Facebook,
or as much energy building my relationship with Him as I do building home decor,
or as much time meditating on His Thoughts as I do on left over terra cotta pots?

"But choose you this day whom you will serve..." Joshua 24:15

There will be no more "project reveals" until I have had some catching up time with my Lord. I have a lot of driving to do in the next few days and no one else in the van who can talk... no excuses there. =)

2 comments:

Mark and Rebekah said...

Good post Joia.

Definitely very thought provoking.

Hope you're having a good weekend :)

Love Rebekah

Mom W. said...

Yep... so true, I think we all have "something" that tends to occupy our time in place of "Him".