Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Impromptu Birthday Dinner

Today has been a fun, busy day!

This morning we went to story time at the library for the first time in a while (okay, a loong while - there was a baby there that's several months old, and he was still in the womb last time we were there!) We had a great time, especially since my friend, Robyn and her little guy, JB, showed up too!

After that we headed to the commissary to pick up some stuff for a new recipe I decided to try for dinner. Then it was home, lunch for the kids, and I had them packed off to bed (and asleep), before my friend, Tracy, showed up for (with) lunch! She brought yummy sandwiches, soup,and creamy chocolate cake from "Just Say Cake" - awesome! We had a great visit before Keenan woke up and charmed her with his cuteness for a while before she had to leave.

Next was turbo "cake decorating and dinner prep mode". Keenan's friend, Elijah had his third birthday last week, but since the whole family was down and out with a yucky bug, they didn't really celebrate and had no party or cake. Well, that's just not right, so we decided to have them over for dinner and a little birthday celebration before we head out of town.

I found a super cool, fun and easy design for an airplane cake and decided to give it a try! It was totally not my "typical" at all (no homemade cake or frosting), with a pound cake and frosting out of a can, but man... it was sooo nice to not have to bake or mix up the icing! Woohoo! I think it turned out pretty cute.

Also for dinner, I decided to try out Dijon Shrimp and Chicken Skewers. I know, I know, you're not supposed to try out new recipes on company, but I'm pretty comfortable with Josh and Rebekah, and they turned out really good!

Here's a couple pics from our fun evening together: (I Still have not gotten a picture of their family!!)

The shrimp and chicken skewers with red peppers and zucchini over couscous

Elijah liked his cake and didn't want us to eat it! =)

He and Keenan getting into the colored sugar

2 comments:

Mom W. said...

The cake looks great!! The shiskabobs look REALLY great (just add mushrooms =)

Mom E said...

OMWorld, there really is no end to your creativity is there? That cake is soooo cute!!