Friday, March 12, 2010

In the Flowers =)

Well folks, I have come to the conclusion that it is probably best that I just wait until we return to the U.S. to post pictures from this trip. It will be a considerable expense in order to get a fast enough connection to post pictures at more than a snail’s pace, and in a few days, my brother will be arriving here, which will mean that there will be three separate computers splitting up the internet time in the evenings and it just wouldn’t be smart or fair to use that time for blogging pictures. My apologies, you know it Kills me to not be putting pictures on here, but I promise there will be multiple “catch up Kenya posts” upon my return to update you via pictures of the entire trip! Have mercy… =)

Highlights of the day:

Both kids tried Ugali (a white, doughy, sticky African dish, usually eaten with the hands) that Mumo made for his dinner this evening.. Keenan had a second bite and Moriah spit hers out. =)

Dan took the kids and I on a tour of RVA (Rift Valley Academy). Just a reminder, this is the boarding school that my mom attended for a few years when she was growing up in Africa. It was Really cool to be there! Mom, I bet when you were here, you never imagined that years later, two generations of your family would be walking on the same ground! It is in a gorgeous setting with a beautiful view of the Rift Valley. Much has changed since my mom was here, but hopefully she’ll recognize a few things in my pictures.

(Not a highlight but a significant event in the day) Keenan came in the kitchen where Dad and I were sitting and said, ‘Papa, I threw your phone in the flowers!” Dad checked his pocket and he had his phone, so he asked Keenan was talking about and he said, “Your phone is in the flowers!” We went outside and he pointed to the bed of flowers beside the porch and said, “I threw it in there!” (WHY!?!) It turned out that it was Joseph’s phone (he helps out around here), and Keenan had found it charging on a shelf and decided to “hide it on Papa”. After Much looking, Joseph finally found it, thankfully! What a stinker!

This evening we were invited to Paul and Caroline Jasters for dinner. Paul is a doctor and they’ve been here for four years. We had a Delicious meal (followed by the fourth blackout of our time here) =)

Tomorrow we are getting an early start to head out on a safari at Lake Nakuru. Some animals we can hope to see are: Flamingos, Rhinos, Zebra, Baboons, Lions, Gazelle, etc.. We’re really excited!

We had a bunch of laundry done by Wambui (the girl who comes and does housekeeping for Dan a few times a week), since I was definitely not up to washing clothes by hand for four people and decided to just pay her to do it. She did a good job, but she scrubbed them so hard that several things got holes in them! =) I guess I’ll just make the trip down to the guest house and do it next time. =)

The local Duka (store) sells a “variety crate” of pop in refundable glass bottles. It’s been really fun trying some different ones. The Pineapple Fanta is one of my favorites, and the Stoney Ginger Tangawizi is Nasty! Just inhaling the smell of it chokes me up! =)

Philip worked in the outpatient department today. A few things he saw were: Hypothyroidism, a migraine, DVT (blood clot in the leg), traumatic bilateral tibia/fibular fractures (a guy had both bones in both legs broken when a car ran into him while he was waiting for a bus), Hypertensive emergency, Osteomyelitis (infection of the bone which may result in an amputation), Hypertension Afib and heart failure, and a Diabetic with an infected amputation site.

Goodnight, or Good Afternoon to you… =)

3 comments:

aunt mary said...

Joia wrote "Mom, I bet when you were here, you never imagined that years later, two generations of your family would be walking on the same ground! It is in a gorgeous setting with a beautiful view of the Rift Valley. Much has changed since my mom was here, but hopefully she’ll recognize a few things in my pictures"

What a proud moment for you Mom W. I'm thrilled for you & your family. You have planted beautiful hearts for missions in your children.

♥♥

Mom W. said...

Thank you Aunt Mary... I am so blessed indeed.

Lake Nakuru... cool it will be!! Wow, I wish I could come along for a few days...

Can't wait to see all the pictures.

Memories, memories....

Mom W. again said...

PS Had to laugh and laugh at the phone in the flowers... good thing he told you!!