Friday, March 5, 2010

A Dream Come True

I can't believe it... in 24 hours I'm Africa bound!

I may have said this before, but going to Africa someday has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. This comes from the fact that my mom was born and raised there (in Congo). While this trip won't take us to Congo, Kenya still has a lot of ties for me. It is where my mom attended school at Rift Valley Academy (which will be within sight of where we are staying!), it's where several of my cousins were born, and now where Philip's dad lives! I have a feeling that Africa may take hold of my heart and I will forever be changed.

To be able to realize a dream like this is truly a gift. The majority of people Never get an opportunity like this in their life. I am so blessed to have a husband who wants to use his gifts to serve those in need, and that that desire is taking us both to Africa. To be able to experience this dream with such an amazing man at my side is more than I could ever deserve.

I hadn't originally pictured this dream coming about with two kids in the picture, but am so excited that we are able to take this trip as a family! It will be Such an adventure, and hopefully one that, though our kids will be too young to remember themselves, will be able to plant a passion (through pictures and our retelling of the trip) in their hearts for missions in the future.

We appreciate all of you who have been praying for us over the past months, as we've been preparing for this trip. We ask that you continue to pray - for safety as we travel, and also during our stay, for happy kids during travel, for good health, and most of all, that we would seize every opportunity to be used of God.

8 comments:

Mom W. said...

Oh, I am so excited... can't wait!! I too am Sooooooo glad you are able to go!!

Mom W. said...

But yikes you are going to be even further away for a whole month... = )

Flakymn said...

As someone who has been to Africa, I will tell you that you are right. You won't ever be the same. In a good way. And even though your kiddos won't remember it, a passion for the fact that the world is much bigger than our little home, is something they are never too young to start learning.

I am however, grieving for myself if you don't mind ... you being gone a month and all! Ugh!

Isaac said...

I hope you have a great time on your trip! I remember a guy came to our classroom and he had been to Africa. He told us what is was like there and he loved it so I bet you will enjoy your trip!

Love,
Isaac

Mom/Gr'ma E said...

As I wrote to you on FB, Joia, I will miss you more while you are away in Kenya. How exciting that you get to walk on some of the same ground your mom did! God is good. Already praying Ps. 91 over your travels and for your safe return home.

Love to you, Philip, Keenan and Moriah, Mom E.

p.s. isn't it fun getting comments from Isaac? He Loves reading your blog all on his own!

Rabens Family said...

Your family will be in our prayers. We can't wait to see all of the pictures.

denise said...

Praying, praying, praying! Over your travels, safety, good experiments, the kids, all of it! You are blessed to have a wonderful husband that cares about others :)

Becky said...

Praying for you guys. I hope you have a wonderful trip! What an amazing journey this is going to be for you guys as a family.