Sunday, January 17, 2010

She Turned it Around

We were supposed to be babysitting this afternoon while Wendi took John out for a "surprise" date for the afternoon/evening. Unfortunately, he ended up getting called in to work today (because someone was sick), so they can't go! =0/

Instead of having a bad attitude about it, Wendi has decided to instead, watch Our kids, so Philip and I can go out for a while this evening (and they'll take a "rain check" for their date, either tomorrow or another day). How great is she???

We plan to drop the kids off after their naps, play some raquet ball, and then grab some dinner someplace casual.

A few snaps from our day thus far:

Keenan this morning with the super cool marble tower Philip made for him

Cute kids after church
His hold on her perfectly displays their relationship =0) And yes, I know, he shouldn't be wearing blue socks with black pants! They were all in the wash! =0/

I LOVE this picture Philip got of the three of us!!

Moriah in another gorgeous dress that was passed on to us!

Some quick thoughts from the message at church this morning:

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be CONTENT whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being CONTENT in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." Philippians 4:11,12

The series right now is called "Enough". Today he was talking about how we all have RHS: Restless Heart Syndrome, and our cry is "There just isn't Enough!" Not enough time, not enough money, not enough stuff, not enough answers...

He shared this quote (I can't remember who it's by)

"It is right to be content with what we have, but never with who we are"

So often we let ourselves become content with the person we have become, or the relationship we have with the Lord or our family, but we are discontented with the things that we have, and want what we don't have.

He shared a story about buying a gift for a friend many years ago. He had spent hours shopping and looking, until he found the perfect gift (something his friend had mentioned, and would totally not expect). He bought it, took it home, wrapped it, and gave it to his friend at a Christmas party. His friend's reaction was less than excited. Later he approached his friend and said, "So, how'd you like the gift? Pretty cool, huh?" His friend said, "Ya, it's great... um, do you have a gift receipt?" He was crushed.

He likened this to what we communicate to God when we are not content with the things we have (which are all gifts from him, our possessions, our spouse, kids, home, car, etc...) If we are not content, and are complaining about what we have/don't have, we are saying "Can I just have the gift receipt, so I can get all the things I REALLY want?"

I was really challenged to search my own heart, and see those places where I have let a spirit of ungratefulness spring up. I am So blessed, and yet so many times have acted like a spoiled brat. May true CONTENTMENT be my goal this year...

"...be content with what you have, because God has said, Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." Hebrews 13:5

5 comments:

Mom W. said...

MMMMmmmmmhu, good message. = )

The Woodford's said...

Love the pic's of you guys, Joia - hope you have a super date with Philip! =) Yay, Wendi!
Thanks too for sharing some of the things you heard/learned today - I needed it too!
Love you!
S

Rachel and Hans said...

Great message! Thanks for posting that. I, too, need to Really take a good look at my attitude many times and be content with how much God has blessed us with. Thanks for the reminder!
Have a great date night!

Flakymn said...

Thank you for allowing us a rain check!!! LOVE THE PIC OF YOU THREE!!!!

Mom E said...

Great photo of the 3 of you. Good message too. Been DVRing teaching series by Joyce Meyer's & she's been talking about being mature spiritually. My it has been challenging and enlightening, to say the least! Being content fits right in with what she's been saying too.