Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sweet and Sour

First, the sweets...

Yesterday the kids and I got an early jump on the day by heading to the Commissary. Tiffany had told me that going early (at 8:30 when they first open) is the best time to go and that it's much less crowded and more pleasant to shop. I figured it was worth a shot!

This time, our mission to get a "cool cart" was not going to be thwarted... there were tons of them waiting to be used! =)

Oodles of cool carts
(I hate the logo above "It's Worth The Trip".... because it really is - which is why I keep coming back, even though it's NO fun!) =0/

A friendly employee took this for us (Keenan was Not into the whole picture thing at this point)

They Loved this! I'm pretty sure Keenan thought he was actually driving the cart the entire time, and Moriah knew just what to do with her steering wheel! So cute! =)

Tiff was right, it's like a different store early in the morning (And we didn't have to park a mile away). That, combined with the cool cart - it was probably our best Ever Commissary experience, yay!

I just love this new outfit on Moriah, so I had her sit in Keenan's chair for a picture...

How cute is she??

Grabbing Keenan's foot =)

More sweetness...

There was a whole lot of sugary chocolately-ness going on in the kitchen this morning. Our MOPS group is having a fundraiser dinner tonight, along with a bake sale. I decided to make some fudge and chocolate bark (neither of which are actually baked - is that cheating?)

I made Peanut Butter Fudge last year and it sold really well, so I thought I'd give it another try this year. I figured the Chocolate Oreo Cookie Bark would likely entice someone too, so I made three batches of it. (Both of these recipes are on my dessert blog - the fudge was posted in July and the bark was in October)

I had fun decorating the fudge containers last year, so I thought I'd see what I could come up with this year (going along with my "use what I have" theme)...

Some bread crumb containers
(Yes, I rinsed them out, and the garlic and herb one did not smell) =)

Throw together some glue, scrapbook paper (do you see a recurring theme here?), cardstock, random ribbon, some stickers, and...

Voila!

Now to package the cookie bark...

We had a bunch of these old terra cotta pots in our basement (left from the previous owner)
I refrained from putting an Actual "before" picture, because they were pretty nasty before I washed them)

With some more trusty left over paint colors from downstairs, some ribbon and cardstock, and we have...

Chocolate in a pot!
(Now, if I can keep it all from melting before someone buys it...)

The not so sweets...

I made such a fantastically huge mess of the kitchen in the process of all the sweet making that I'm going to end up not getting any "catch up shut eye" to make up for Moriah's busy night last night.

Also, when I went downstairs to switch a load of laundry, I found that it had not rinsed or drained (and would not do so, no matter what I tried). I called a repair place, who told me someone would be over... tomorrow at 5 pm! Drat! I couldn't leave the clothes in there that long or they'd start growing stuff! I pulled them all out, put them in a bin and carried it upstairs (it weighed a ton!) I put them in the bathroom (where I intended to rinse them out in the tub and then figure out some way to hang them up). While I was making lunch, the thought came to me "What am I thinking? I bet Myrtle wouldn't mind if I brought them over and did a rinse and spin cycle in her machine, I'm going to give her a call!" Of Course she didn't mind, so that's what I did (they are now back here, in the dryer). What a blessing to have such a wonderful neighbor! So, a sweet ending to a very sour story...

Now, off to tidy up the "sweet mess" I made in the kitchen and then get ready to leave for the MOPS dinner...

2 comments:

rachel said...

Ok - you are SO creative! I love the way you packaged your sweets!

Just wondering how you find time to do all those cute things! You are amazing.

Allison and Jared said...

such CUTE sweets!!