Monday, August 17, 2009

...and the Secret Project Is....

A "makeover" of Moriah's bedroom!

(If you skip ahead in this post, it won't be nearly as interesting, in my opinion... just letting you know) =)

Moriah had just been using part of the guest room, and didn't really have her own space. After I thought it through, I decided that we don't have guests in there enough for it to be mainly "guest" space, and decided to move the beds out and give her her own room. (Philip and I can still sleep in there when we do have guests).

So... here are some Before pictures of the cramped, (messy) space that she had:

Just one teeny half (not even) of the room that I had tried to make look a little girly
(Her cross stitch wasn't hanging, because I hadn't got a hanger for the back of it yet)

The other bed, covered in clothes, coming and going

The other wall, random stuff, clothes not adequately organized...
(Wow, I can't believe I'm actually posting these on my blog!) =0/

Not a great space for a baby girl to spend the first year and a half of her life, do you think? =0/ Originally, I was just going to move the beds out, and move the crib, etc, in from Keenan's room, and that was going to be it...

Then, Philip's cousin, Denise, (aka The Deal Queen of the Universe) sent me a link to an online deal that Glidden was doing. They were sending out a Free quart of paint (you choose the color) to anyone who signed up! I thought, well, if I could Paint (and for Free, even!) then I could really change the look of the room! I signed up for one, had one come for Philip (at Myrtle's address), and Wendi also agreed to get one for me. With three quarts of "Fresh Pink Lemonade" paint on it's way, I started thinking of other ways I could make her room fun and cutesy/girly...

Now, lest you think this is going to be a Gorgeous, over the top, Adorable room fit for a princess, with coordinating everything... you've come to the wrong place. New crib bedding and matching accents for the walls would have been totally fun, but I was going for a more inexpensive approach, and wanted to see what I could create myself or get cheaply...

The wheels in my head started turning and I started looking around the house for things I could use in this new project...

Hmmm.... This clock hasn't worked for a long time, what can I make with it?

With some leftover white paint from the basement and some scrapbook paper...

A monogram to match her new pink room

We've had a ratty old canvas in our basement since we moved in. I've almost thrown it away several times, thinking "That old thing isn't going to be worth painting, and it's dirty, and nasty..." Well, this project gave it another chance at life...

...after cleaning it off and selecting some more paint from the basement (left over from when we painted several rooms when we moved in), I was ready to see what I could make...

Not a masterpiece, but an improvement, I think

Several trips to thrift stores also aided in my mission to decorate cheaply...

I bought this shelf and painted it white (for the purpose of holding the painting above, since I discovered it was a bit warped and wouldn't hang flat on the wall)

I found two of these "shadow box" type topiary trees. One I am saving for another project and one I just decided to "tweak" for Moriah's room (since I really did like the look of it)

Some berries, a bow and some green paint, and I like it even better =)

When we first assembled our crib (before Keenan was born), one of the rails was missing some screws. When we contacted the company about getting some replacements, they sent us an entire new crib rail! We still had that sitting around, so I decided to use it in her room as well...

Okay, I admit, this is a little odd, but I thought it would be a unique, fun way to display some really sweet things Moriah has...

I think it's really cute to have the baby's name on the wall, but certainly didn't want to fork over the "per letter" price that craft stores ask, so I made my own. With some stiff cardboard (from the packaging the crib rail was in), more some scrapbook paper, some clothes pins and wrapping ribbon...

Moriah!

I didn't have curtains, or rods, and was really stumped on this one for a while with several trial and errors... Finally I just decided to use tree branches as the rods, and found a huge sheer curtain at a thrift store that I divided for the two windows...

The finished look

And now... after a lot of painting help from Philip (he gave up most of his Saturday to help me with this), the AFTERS!

The paint made Such a difference!

So much more space now!


We didn't have enough paint for all four walls, so I did polka dots on the fourth wall instead
(You can't see the pink ones very well in this picture)

The whole "makeover" cost a whopping....$27.00!

New globe for overhead light $3
Wooden shelf to hold canvas painting $2
Sheers $4
Shadow box $5
Paint brush for edging $13

So... that's it, my Secret Project! =)

14 comments:

The Khans said...

wow! that's amazing. it looks great. You did a wonderful job, so creative. One day I might get an ounce of creativity I seem to read about all the time from friends.

Anonymous said...

Wowsers - I want to do my niece's room - any good paint deal here in Canada?
L:)

denise said...

YAY! I'm so glad you were inspired AND got a great deal. The before and after looks awesome. Your little girlie princess has her own place. LOVE the monogram. What did you use to make the polka dots? That is why I got my paint, to do that in the boys room and have not figured out the best way yet! lol. Now I am inspired to jump into it!!!

Rabens Family said...

Moriah's new bedroom looks GREAT! You are so creative! Thanks for sharing.

Joia said...

Denise - I just used a bowl, a cup, and a bottle ring to draw the polka dots on the wall and then just painted them in... nothing fancy. =)

Jessica said...

you never cease to amaze me. That room is incredible and so adorable!! Almost makes me want a girl...almost...lol! :) Can't wait to see you guys next month!! Love, Jessica

Hannah said...

Wow!!! Come on over and decorate my place for me!!

Becky said...

Wow! Moriah's room looks amazing. I can't believe you were able to do all that for only $27.00!!!

Shambach's said...

You did a great job for such little $$$. I'm impressed. Looks great!

Anonymous said...

I am so INCREDIBLY impressed! I LOVE the clock idea. You've done an awesome job Joia, and I'm definitely seeing a lot of potential in thrifty decorating. You've given me a few ideas...
Like I said, I LOVE it!
Rebekah
PS- Mark was also impressed!

Vanessa S said...

Unbelievable! What a fantastically creative job you've done here. Your resourcefulness scores an A+. Well done!

Mom W. said...

Great job Joia, I haven't been able to be on the internet (we are having connection problems) for days, had to catch up several days, hope to write more.

Mom E said...

I sat here reading this just shaking my head in amazement at the level of your creativity....truly amazing! Tree branches? Incredible. I agree with the first writer's comment that maybe someday I might get even an oz. of creativity I read about all the time from friends! Wonderful job, Joia.

Anonymous said...

you are in point of fact a good webmaster.
The site loading pace is incredible. It sort of feels that
you're doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you have done a magnificent activity on this matter!

Stop by my web page www.pussyxxx.org