Wednesday, July 29, 2009

It Wouldn't be Michigan Without Construction...

We are stateside once again, for a two day visit with family and friends.

Yesterday was a fun, busy day. My mom and I and the kids ran some errands in town, which was fun, seeing my hometown again and all the new changes it has undergone since my last visit. Then the kids took naps while I caught up on the blog, email and made some chocolate bark. After that, an old friend, Jolinda, (who I had seen only once in the past three years) came over with her new baby girl. We had a great "catch up" visit before my brothers, Mark and Rob arrived with their wives, Rebekah and Ada, and we had a birthday celebration for Rebekah.

One of the funniest parts of the evening was when Andrew set his camera up to do time lapse photography during dinner. It ran for about 45 minutes, and was Hilarious to watch later! LOL!

Today day didn't start off on a super great note. Keenan woke up before I was ready to get up, so I had him come in bed with me for a bit. He lay beside me for a while, then sat up and was fooling around and climbed in and out of the bed a few times. Then I felt a little hand on my arm and he said, "I'm poopy!"
"Okay", I said, "I'll get up and change you. I didn't get moving fast enough for him because he said again. "I'm poopy!" I sort of rolled over and said "Yup, I'm getting up.." with my eyes still closed.
At that point, he said (in a very matter of fact voice) "There's poop on your arm."
"WHAT!?!" I said and jumped up (now very Wide awake!) and seeing that yes, there was indeed fecal matter on my arm. "GROSS! How did that Happen??"
"Off my hand" he said, (like that was the dumbest question ever). I dove into the box of wipes and practically scrubbed the skin off my forearm, in an attempt to feel clean again. Well, no more details, there really aren't that many... there (thankfully) was not poop everywhere, and it was a pretty straight forward diaper change. Effective, but definitely not on my top ten list of ways to be woken up.

After that, the morning was a blur of activity as I packed up again (taking only part of our stuff this time, but still a Ton) for another trip. Boy, do I miss Philip. For some reason I (stupidly) thought that I could just sort of "throw together the stuff we needed for two days, and we'd be out the door". DUH!! It didn't go anything like that (ask my mom!) I was a crazy woman, spinning around the house, collecting stuff, tripping over Keenan's newly made messes, getting stuff in the laundry (which my mom totally took over and finished for me), packing up the clothes I thought we'd need for two days, trying to remember all of the important things (that were by now scattered to every corner of my parent's house), getting Moriah down for a nap, getting showered, getting Moriah Back down for her nap after Keenan woke her up, getting the kids dressed, re-dressing Moriah after she spilled a vase full of flowers on herself right before we headed out the door... Fun times.

Once we were on the road, Moriah fell asleep and Keenan was contentedly watching "Jonah" with headphones on, and for the first time, I had some peace and quiet. Aaahh... The GPS did a great job of navigating us to the Chapters bookstore in London, where we were meeting up with my great friend, Laura for a visit before hooking up with Rebekah for lunch. Both kids were asleep by the time I got there, so Laura and I visited in the van for half an hour or so until they woke up. Then we checked out the kids area in the bookstore (which happened to have a Fantastic Thomas the Train table) that Keenan Loved! Great, that meant Laura and I were able to carry on a mostly uninterrupted conversation for a while... Until it was time to Leave the fantastic train table... not a pretty sight.

When Rebekah got there, we walked to Eastside Mario's for a delicious lunch (which she insisted on buying, even though it was her birthday!) After parting ways with Rebekah and Laura, we hit the road for our second border crossing in two days.

Both kids were soon asleep, which was awesome, but the combination of sleeping kids, the Bible songs CD softly playing, and the warm sun soon made for a very sleepy Me too... Not good.

I was so tired, I pulled off at an exit to sleep for a bit before carrying on. That didn't go so well. My seat could hardly recline at all, since Moriah's carseat is right behind it. Also, the music (which was keeping the kids lulled to sleep) was Not "lulling" me at all. "Ho, ho, ho, hosa-anna, Ha, ha, hale-lluiah..." just wasn't doing it for me. Sleep was not happening.

At this point I remembered that I had some caramel/chocolate hard candies in the pocket of the diaper bag. Right on! That should help to give me some (at least short term) energy. I got those out and started driving again. They seemed to work quite well, especially since they were Very hard, and super sticky and when I tried to bite them (because I'm not good at sucking candies at all), they got really stuck to my teeth, thus taking quite a bit of effort to get off.

I ran out of those fairly quickly though and was back to being drowsy. Okay, time to pull out the big guns. Time for Tims. The GPS helped me take a detour to an "off the highway" Tim Hortons for some caffeine, and back on track without doing any backtracking. Now I was good to go!

The border was fairly backed up, since they appeared to be searching at least every other car. Thankfully our stop at the booth was pretty quick and they did no search (even though I'm a Candian from Florida, with two American kids, no second parent, had just made a 45 hour visit to Canada, was staying in Mi for only two days, before Returning to Ontario, and was then going back to DC!) Thank you Lord! =)

I called Aunt Mary (where we are spending the night) and told her that I expected to see her in about 35 minutes (according to the GPS), and she said, "Well, maybe, it'll depend on traffic and whether or not there's any construction going on". We were doing great for a while, and then... sure enough, there was construction.. down to one lane, then c-r-a-w-l-i-n-g along for several miles doing somewhere between 5 and 15 miles an hour. Welcome to Michigan. =)

We arrived here at Aunt Mary and Uncle Dennis' shortly after 5:00. When we came in, a great surprise was awaiting us! Philip's dad, Dan was here! We knew he was going to be in town, and expected to see him at the Dooley gathering tomorrow, but he surprised us and came by for dinner with us! Keenan had an Awesome time, playing with Grandpa, wrestling, tickling, giggling, chasing, etc... =)

After a Fabulous dinner cooked by Aunt Mary, she and I and the kids walked to a nearby Tim Hortons for some liquid refreshment before I gave Keenan a bath and put the kids to bed. Then we had some delicious apple pie (made by Uncle Dennis) with ice cream before Dan left.

Philip seems to be doing well without us and is getting lots of exercise Walking to and from the base, without us there to drive him. He did realize that without three other people and the accompanying white noise makers the kids use, that the apartment was quite a bit louder at night than he realized, so he had to find some white noise (I think it was actually called pink noise on his laptop to help him get to sleep!

That about sums up the day. Once again, it is after 11, and this chick needs her sleep!!

4 comments:

auntmary said...

We enjoyed every minute with our 'Canadian' family and our very special Kijabe Kenya visitor. Thank you for staying with us. We had much fun with Keenan and Moriah. Miss you already. ;-(

Philip said...

I got the sound from http://www.simplynoise.com/ and put it on loop in iTunes. They have a thunderstorm also but I didn't want it to wake me up as it is quite realistic. Looking forward to you all getting back here soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you (Joia and kids) were able to come on this trip! It was such a nice and unexpected surprise!
And we missed you, Philip. We were pndering some heavy medical issues and we were mentioning how much we missed having you there to tell us the answer! Thanks for sharing your family with us!
Rebekah

Mom E said...

August 5th and I'm just now reading this, but just had to comment on a few things..I love Dennis' pies and other desserts! So cool that you got to spend time with them. And lastly, I LOL and chuckled as I thought, "only Philip would find white noise on the computer!" Then I realized how much I'm going to actually need that when I'm in MI b/c I won't have Isaac's filter with me! So, thanks Philip!!