Thursday, June 11, 2009

Gone Home

Grandpa Eberts, Jeff's dad, Roger, went home to be with the Lord last night shortly before midnight. He was 72 and had been with his wife, Carol, since he was 17 and she was 15!

Jeff, Erik, and Isaac were all in Ohio at the time. Please pray for the family as they grieve the "goodbye for now" of a great man.

One of my favorite pictures of Grandpa... with Keenan at 3 months

The last time we saw him (in March)

Philip and Grandpa

He was a man who loved the outdoors, loved to sing, loved his family, playing golf with his sons, and especially loved to spend time with his grandson, Isaac.

I think The Old Rugged Cross was one of Grandpa's favorite hymns, and one that his granddaughter, Jessica was able to sing to him over the phone just hours before he was "called to his home far away..."

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame;
And I love that old cross where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.

Chorus: So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
To bear it to dark Calvary.

In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see,
For 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
To pardon and sanctify me.

To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He'll call me some day to my home far away,
Where His glory forever I'll share.


4 comments:

The Woodford's said...

We're praying for all of you.

Flakymn said...

Thinking of Philip in losing two grandparents in one week.

Mom W. said...

Wow, another death so soon but again "we truly sorrow not as those who have no hope" and like you said it is really just "see you later". Praying for all...

Mom E said...

Joia, I just now read the tributes to both my mom and now this one to Jeff's dad. I am in tears; some of them due to my loss and grief, and the rest due to the gratefulness I feel for the love you expressed for each of them. It is odd that in just a 30 hour span of time, I lost two people whom I love so dearly.

Even in this, I stand amazed at God's provison of blessings in the very midst of these losses (too numerous to give account in a simple "comment" on your blog; and one of those blessings is you and the loving way you have posted a memory of them in their honor.

I cannot thank you enough, Joia. It has brought much joy to my heart this day (June 12th), which btw, also happens to be our 16th wedding anniversary; the first (and hopefully only one) that Jeff and I are apart.

All my love,
Mom