Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Gettin' dirty

I did some work outside today, since the wifia lunch is here tomorrow and things were looking a little "raggedy". I bought some plants (the first ones ever at this house!) this morning and then spent the afternoon transplanting them into various pots, as well as cutting the "grass" in the front yard, sweeping out the carport, and picking a bunch of weeds along our front walk. Keenan and Moriah were really good during all of this, and Keenan "helped" as much as I would let him. =)

Moriah after taking a snooze

Hopefully my plants survive. I don't have a green thumb like my mom (or Myrtle), and, truth be told, I don't even remember the names of the flowers I bought! (I just checked to make sure that they do well in the sun!)

I bought two hanging baskets, removed the handles, and plopped them into two big planters we've had sitting empty since we moved in...

One is in the driveway by one of the carport pillars

The other one is on the step by our side door

Some of my other new plants

These adorable hanging pots ($2 a piece!) were my favorite purchases of the day =)

This was the first time in a long time that this "country girl" has been this sweaty and dirty (mud caked under my nails, dirty feet even inside my shoes!), and I appreciate Philip even More for being the one to cut the grass and do stuff outside. =)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

But didn't you enjoy it even a little? I'm NOT a gardening person at all, and I actually loved planting our garden (flowerbeds) this spring! It's like you get to "redo" the front of your house every year, which makes me happy since some of what I planted this year doesn't look so good! And it's one of the cheapest parts of redecorating!
I NEVER thought I'd like gardening, but so far I'm enjoying the flowers!
BTW, I think your improvements look great and I love the bright hanging pots. Good job!
Love you,
Rebekah

The Mac's House said...

Where did you find the hanging pots those are adorable? The plants all look great, I'm sure that they will survive. No doubt Keenan will be a great little helper in watering them all for you.

Joia said...

Yes, Rebekah, I Did enjoy it! I didn't mean to sound complainy... the mowing just really stunk (our yard is so sandy I felt like I was "tilling" as much as I was cutting!)
Other than that, the rest was really fun, and yes, plants are a great (fairly inexpensive) way to spruce things up!

Mac's House - the pots are actually from Dollar General!

Mom W. said...

Looks like mostly impatiens?? If the hanging pots don't have drainage you will have to be careful not to over water... They all look wonderful Joia ! Way to go, wish I could be there to see them all in person... a little Miracle Grow goes a long way or you can get Jobe sticks and put them in the pots... (green thumb secret... = ) Love you, your thumb may get greener with time, don't give up...

Anonymous said...

Ewwww.... I was forgetting about the mowing part. Nope, i don't like that at all. Luckily my husband thinks that's men's work so I don't think I've done it since we were married. But I'm sure Philip was THRILLED that you'd done that, especially when you have so little time together as it is. Mark says the yardwork is his job and the flowers are mine, so we're both happy :)
I'm just really surprised that I somewhat like it because I've never liked getting dirty, or gardening much at all.
Love you,
Rebekah

The Mac's House said...

Thanks Joia!