Sunday, December 21, 2008

Why Moriah?

I've been meaning to post about how we came to name the baby Moriah:

A few years ago (in the months before I got pregnant with Keenan), I was doing a Beth Moore Bible study called The Patriarchs: Encountering the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. In the study, when we got to the part about Abraham offering Isaac as a sacrifice to the Lord, I was really struck with the part about Mount Moriah and the significance of it. That was the place that Abraham, in complete trust in his God, offered up his Only son, (that he had waited 100 years for!), simply because it was asked of him.
Even though we hadn't been trying for a really long time or anything, I was still sad and discouraged that I wasn't pregnant yet. Being a mom was what I had dreamed of doing my whole life. While thinking about Abraham and his trust at Mount Moriah, I decided to just give it all to God. I prayed and told the Lord that if we ever Did have children, they would belong to Him, and that if He chose to bless me with a daughter, I wanted to name her Moriah which means: "Seen by Yahweh" or "The Lord is My Teacher".

Moriah JOY seemed fitting, since there is joy when Any child is born, and we are incredibly filled with Joy for the blessing and gift that she is. As some have noticed, her name is also almost the "reverse" of mine - Joia Marie.

1 comment:

Chastity Koleski said...

Congrats!! I am so happy for you all. She is beautiful. And I love her name.