Monday, October 6, 2008

Three litres later...

I was feeling pretty nasty this morning after Keenan and I got home from taking Philip in to work. I was nauseous, had diarrhea, pretty bad stomach pains and ended up throwing up the only thing I ate (chicken noodle soup). Keenan was a little trouper and behaved soo well! I just lay on the couch for a while and he played with his toys, occasionally came over and drove some of his cars or trucks up and down my legs, and pushed his little pumpkin round and round the coffee table on his miniature four wheeler. He even brought me a blanket when I asked for one!

Giving his pumpkin a ride

He got his own blanket and crawled up on the couch with me, but then decided there wasn't enough room, so he went and sat in this chair and covered himself up! =)

After several hours, I talked to Philip and he suggested that I come to the hospital and get checked out. I dropped Keenan off with Tiffany and got there at about 1:15. They did all the regular stuff and hooked me up to a monitor to check the baby's heart rate and another one to monitor my contractions. Apparently I was Very dehydrated and they ended up giving me three litres of IV fluids! Dr. Paulson and the nurses took Excellent care of me during my (almost four hour) stay, and this really good looking guy, Dr. Dooley kept coming in and hanging out with me too! He was super nice (although he kept getting on my case about how I don't drink enough...)
As I got more hydrated the contractions spaced out a lot, until they weren't really concerned about them anymore.
Here's a picture of me this afternoon. Philip said, "I think you should try look more sick for the picture.."

What I won't do to spend some time with Philip in the middle of the day! =)

I picked up Keenan (after he had an Excellent time with Tiffany and her parents) and he didn't really want to come home with me he was having so much fun! Thank you So much Tiffany and crew! =)

This evening I've been guzzling liquids, and treated myself to the DQ Blizzard of the month "Pumpkin Pie", which was fantastic!

P.S. From Philip - You can take the Canadian out of Canada but (fortunately) you can't take the Canada out of the Canadian. Some of the others from "down in the States" might have noticed the title, doesn't say "Three liters later..." I still "Blame Canada" for the point I missed on an English test in elementary school when my teacher said that colour was spelled wrong.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG(osh) Joia...next time have Philip call us to let us know so we can be praying for you! The photo of you in the hospital, scared me to death! So glad you are okay. Love, Mom E.

Anonymous said...

My gosh, Joia, you need to look after yourself!! You're always so busy, don't forget to take time for some R & R. Glad you're feeling better now. Lots of fluids every day!!!
Cheryl

Flakymn said...

OH MAN JOIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are going to be asking you everyday now how much you have had to drink!

Mom W. said...

Your teacher in elementary school... and who might that have been? ...not your mother by any chance? Using American curriculum in Canada is the problem, me thinks... right??? (Was it I?) SO glad you are OK. Andrew is home safe and sound... Yay!

Joia said...

Mom W... remember the P.S. was from Philip, not me - so he was talking about His elementary school teacher!

denise said...

glad you are feeling better Joia!

I agree with Philip's PS. I read a ton of books growing up and where I lived we got a lot of Canadian published books. I STILL have to think before I write certain words! Liter, Color, Center.... :) Not that it's bad, I just have to think!

Anonymous said...

DRINK UP! I know you will have to pee like ten times more than you already do now which is annoying, but it is worth it! a couple days before I had Hudson, I was admitted and had to have FIVE litre...liters...injected into my bone dry body. UGH! I do see that there might have been an ulterior motive though with that cute Dr. Dooley there at the hospital... ;) Love you! The doctor's sister.

aunt mary said...

Wow! So glad you are doing better. I'm just reading about this today as your post site apparently "kicked me off" of receiving your updates. I have not gotten any in my email for over a week and knowing you post something every day, I thought there was something very suspicious about this 'inactivity'... I'll try requesting to be reinstated.