Saturday, April 5, 2008

Enjoying time together

Philip worked a half day today, but it sure was nice to have him home before noon! =)

We've had a fun, relaxing day here at home, while the rain poured down. Philip and I actually got to watch a movie this afternoon AND eat dinner while Keenan napped!

Keenan now walks at least 75% of the time, instead of crawling, and just today figured out how to turn the dishwasher on! (Not a great skill for a one year old to have...) =0/

This picture struck me funny, since it looks like he's doing ballet or something... with a mace in his back pocket! LOL!

Here's what my forehead currently looks like

The picture below (stolen from a friend's blog) shows the monkey bars (just above my head) that I banged into. This picture was taken just seconds before "the incident".


* Here's a poll question for anyone who wants to share their opinion: (I've mentioned this to a couple of my friends already)

If you were in the grocery store going through the self checkout line, and the cashier in charge of the self checkouts came over and picked your baby up out of the cart (without asking or anything) what would you do? Do you think that's acceptable? Would you say anything?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would flip out on the inside and probably just grab him back right away. I wouldn't even know what to say!! That is craziness!!!!! Did this really happen to you? Matt would have had some words with whoever did that, that is for sure. =) Love, Jessica

Heather said...

Erm, I don't think I'd be very happy about it :S Depending on their wackiness, I might even complain to the manager so that it doesn't happen again to someone else...

Liz said...

i would immediately grab my baby back and think nasty names at the cashier while giving her extremely dirty looks. if i was feeling brave enough i would even tell her off.
wow, i can't believe someone would do that at all! it's madness.

Mom W. said...

Joia, you didn't say whether you know this person or not but I am assuming not. I think there is a polite way you could let her know that you don't feel comfortable with it. "Excuse me... I don't know you and you don't know me, please don't pick my baby up without asking me first" (as you are reaching for him and nicely but firmly removing him from her) I would think that would prevent this from happening again but be wary of HER in the future. There you are - Grandma's 2 cents.

Flakymn said...

It would bother me but I probably wouldn't say anything just because I never say anything. But I should say something so I suppose you should say something but you may be like me and be afraid of saying something.

P.S. You should put a real YES/NO question on here that people can answer and it tallys your results.

Rachel said...

I would promptly take my baby back and let the cashier know that I would like it if she didn't pick him up. I might complain too. I don't like it when strangers touch my little guy...you know the ones who walk up and touch their cheeks and grab their hands. Ew, he puts his hands in his mouth and now your hands have touched them. I know babies are cute, but you can look at them and see that they are cute from a distance without touching them...just my thoughts.

Joia said...

Thank you all for your feedback!

Yes, Jessica, this Did really happen, and no, Mom, I didn't know the woman.

I think I will definitely try and be a little more vocal about how I Really feel in these kinds of situations in the future. I shouldn't be so worried about offending the other person, when what they just Did was offensive to ME!

Mom W. said...

So Joia, what Did you do when she picked him up, we are all curious??? Mom

Joia said...

I didn't really do much of anything.. =0/ I think I just hurried and paid, so I could take him back and leave.

Mom W. said...

Well, at least you didn't do anything you regret yourself and now that you have had a chance to think about your plan of action, it will likely never happen again =) Our natural reaction is to respond offense for offense (and it seems right and fair) but the Biblical truth seems to be that when offended don't offend back, or not? I know that certainly isn't naturally my automatic response. Anyway, interesting to think about. Well, now you know how to get a response from your readers - ask a question... Love you, Mom

Joia said...

Mom, I wouldn't say something to Purposely be offensive, but if me saying, "Excuse me, please do not pick up or touch my baby" is offensive to them, I can't help that.

Jen: said...

I would say...
"I hope you don't contract my baby's highly contagious flesh-eating skin disease."
Then I'd see how quickly she tried to give my baby back.
:) Jen

Joia said...

LOL! I think Jen wins for the best answer! =)