Monday, January 14, 2008

Settling in...

Philip is on an E.R. rotation now for two weeks. His shifts are from 2 pm until 10 pm... kind of a strange shift, but it sure is nice to have him here in the morning and for the first part of the day for a change!

I've spent the day unpacking, doing laundry, grocery shopping and trying to get back into the swing of things here at home.

I cooked ribs today for the first time! I never really thought I liked ribs that much, because they seemed so messy to eat. But then I had some Amazing ribs that Aunt Toni made while I was in Michigan, and I decided that maybe I had been too hasty in my decision... which lead to me ordering them at Ruby Tuesday the other night, and buying some at the Commissary yesterday. I slow cooked them for several hours this afternoon, and (even if I do say so myself), they turned out really good (nice and tender, juicy, and falling off the bones).

Random note... While I was in Ontario, I actually came to believe, for the first time in my life, that Canadians do, in fact, have an accent! =) Being one myself, I never thought we did, and was always a bit annoyed when Americans made fun of the way we talked (especially with words like: house, mouse, out, etc..) Well.... I have now become one of those American-ish people who think those words Do sound kind of funny when Canadians say them! I especially noticed this while listening to DJs talk on the radio. However, to stand up for my fellow beaver and snow loving countrymen... we do NOT say "oot, and aboot", our "out" is just not as "ouch" sounding as the American pronunciation of the word.
Now my Canadian friends and family are starting to tease Me, because they say I sound like an American now! I just can't win... =)

2 comments:

Wendi said...

Hi Joia! I am home!!!! I have missed you --

I'm missing JB now too :(

Anonymous said...

How nice to have Phil at home in the morning!!! All these schedule changes must be hard. Hey, how did you slow cook your ribs? In a crock pot or in the oven or how? Ribs are sounding reallyyyy good right now! I am so hungry! Love you and miss you guys!!! (Aunt)Jessica