Sunday, November 18, 2007

How I became a Christian

As winner of the "Visitor number 1000" contest, Rebekah was allowed to choose the topic for today's blog. She asked if I would share about how I became a Christian. So here it is:

I grew up in a home with Christian parents, who, from the very beginning, had taught me about God, the Bible, and the way to heaven. Several of my brothers had also accepted Christ, but I put it off a long time. I would often think/worry about the future, and what would happen after I died, but never enough to do anything about it. It seemed like there would always be time "later". (Such a foolish way to go through life, since we all know, any of us could go at any time).

One night, in a gospel meeting (on March 3rd, 1997), the speaker was talking about some 17 year old boys that he knew, who had been in a car accident the week before, and, in an instant, had gone into eternity without ever accepting Christ. That story was particularly shocking to me, because I was 16 at the time. I knew that if I had been one of the people in that car, I would have definitely been in hell that night. As I thought about the way I had been going through life for the past 16 years with No assurance of being in Heaven when I died, I was overcome with more fear than I had ever known before. How many times I had been in harm's way in my life, and yet I was still here, with the chance to make that decision Now. On the way home in the car, this verse came to my mind, "That if you confess with your mouth "Jesus is Lord", and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9 God has made it So simple! Right then and there, I confessed that I was a sinner, that I could no longer do this on my own, and that I needed His salvation. At that point I became a new person in Christ (with a desire to live differently and honor Him with my life) and finally had the peace and assurance that I would be with Him when I died.

That was ten years ago now, and I can't say that it has always been an easy road. The Lord never promised us it would be easy. Christianity isn't just about having "fire insurance" for after we die, it's so much more than that. Our Heavenly Father wants to have a personal relationship with us, and be involved in our every day life. That is so exciting to me! It has been such a rewarding journey as I have sought to follow His way for my life. I have definitely made lots of mistakes along the way, and haven't always chosen His best, but His way is So much better than mine, and I can always be sure that He has the very best in store for me, if I will just do what He says.

The most amazing thing is being able to look back and see so many ways that God has worked in my life since I let him take the wheel. He is a real and active God, and He is still Very much in the business of miracles! Just give Him a chance, and see what He can do in Your life!

1 comment:

Mom W. said...

Good choice Rebekah... good job Joia, God is SO good... Love, Mom