Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Miracle at Wal-Mart

We lost Bunny today. This time for real. Keenan and I were at Wal-Mart for probably 20 minutes (and had covered a lot of ground) before I realized that Bunny was missing.

I panicked immediately. I started a desperate, ongoing prayer under my breath, something like "Oh God, please, please, help me find Bunny..." I quickly retraced our steps as best I could remember back through the clothing section, through the hats, to the baby section, then over to the food aisles and finally to the cards and stationary section. No Bunny. My heart sunk. What am I going to do? What will happen when Keenan needs to go to sleep and he has no Bunny?

By this point, I'm barely holding back the tears as I pay for my stuff and get ready to leave. Where could he have gone?

After I check out, I head over to Customer Service to ask about the lost and found. As per usual, there was a long line at the counter, and only one person working. I found myself thinking, "Can't these people hurry up with their trivial returns etc... don't they realize I have a Crisis going on here??" Finally it was my turn and I asked the girl if she could check the lost and found for a blue bunny. I could see the box from where I was standing, and when I didn't see Bunny on the top, and she started going through the other stuff, I knew he wasn't there. When she came back, I asked if I could leave my phone number. She handed me a small piece of paper and I wrote down my cell phone number, name and a description of Bunny. (I have to admit, though she was super nice, I didn't have a whole lot of faith, that when her shift ended, that piece of paper would still be around for anyone else to use if Bunny showed up).

I headed out to the car, trying to page Philip as I went, and praying, "Lord, please let Bunny be in the car.." since I wasn't Positive we had brought him into the store. I got to the car, looked inside, and once again.. no Bunny. (In hindsight, it's a good thing Philip wasn't able to return my page anyway, because it would have just added stress to his day when he couldn't do anything about it anyway).

I couldn't leave without looking once more. I put Keenan's car seat in the car, put our cart away, and then put him in the umbrella stroller and we headed back in for one more look around. As we went in, I had a good feeling about the way that I was going, being pretty sure that it's the Exact path we had taken when we first went in the store. Still no sign of him anywhere. Could someone have stolen him? Why would they?? Who wants someone else's old, slightly damp, sucked on, Bunny? I decide to check at the lost and found once more, but she still hadn't seen him.

As I headed for the door, I remembered that I needed to go to the bathroom, so I headed to the back of the store (and double checked that the site to store counter didn't have a lost and found), used the bathroom and headed for the front doors again.

As I did, I suddenly got a little prompting "Weren't you at the Halloween clearance section?" Yes I was! I was so excited as I headed there, hoping Bunny had fallen on the floor and gotten kicked under one of the clothing racks. I rounded the corner... no Bunny. I was totally disappointed now, and was ready to cry again. I started to leave, and out of the corner of my eye I saw him... on top of a candy display, a familiar little blue tailed bottom stuck up in the air, and two floppy ears hung over the side. I paused in disbelief, exhaled "Thank you God!", then grabbed Bunny and held him to my chest.. I was sooo happy! Wow! Answer to prayer! I didn't give him back to Keenan at that point, I held him (as I floated) on our way back to the car.
Keenan hadn't yet missed Bunny this whole time, and minutes after we left the parking lot, he was fast asleep with one of Bunny's ears in his fist.

When we got home, guess what was in the mail? A package containing Bunny Hop's two brand new, super soft bunny brothers from the UK! (We hadn't been expecting them to come for a while yet).

As I pulled in the driveway, tears came to my eyes... what an amzing God we have, who cared about the whispered prayer of a desperate mom in Wal-Mart and the slobbery blue bunny that helps her baby boy sleep. While I was frantically racing around Wal-Mart, or possibly before Bunny was even lost - He had put two replacements in my mailbox, so that, even if I hadn't found Bunny, everything would have been okay.

This verse came to mind: "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny ? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father." Matt. 10:29
He cares about sparrows.. and even little blue bunnies...=)

Some people might just call this luck or coincidence, but I don't believe that, and I want to give credit where credit is due. I think this was His reminder to me that He's very much there and cares about even the smallest details of my life.

After we went in the house, Bunny Hop and his two brothers had a little reunion (I think they'd been separated at birth). Here's a picture of the three of them together.

They seem to really like each other
(I was going to have one of the brothers give him "bunny ears", but well, that joke isn't all that funny when everyone in the picture already has them)

Ah, yes, the Hop brothers, Hip, Bunny and Bell. I know, "Bell" is a pretty girlie name, he thinks so too. He actually wrote a song (a take off on Johnny Cash's "A Boy Named Sue"), called, "A Bunny Named Bell", and traveled the world for several bitter years, looking for his father. That's how he ended up in the UK, and was reunited with Hip. They lived in a foster home of sorts, called "Deb's Beanie World", in Wirral, not far from Liverpool.

All's well that ends well, and things are mighty fine here in the Dooley house. Goodnight all!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hey Joia!
Just read about almost loosing bunny, glad the big man upstairs was with you for that! :D Your story reminded me of the comic strip "for better for worse" by Lynn Johnston. 1 of her children had a bunny too and lost it. Well its late must go to bed. Have a Happy Halloween!

flakymn said...

What a great story! I read the whole time with baited breath -- does she find bunny? I thought you were going to get a call and then, it all turned around! Fantastic. I am also, often, very taken back by the little things God does -- like 2 seconds after a prayer to find my cell phone I remember an item "clunking" when I sat down in the car! There it was under the seat. Just a little thing that saved me from fretting.