Wednesday, September 19, 2007

An Ode to a Dear Feline Friend

When I got home this evening, I read an email from my mom that said (due to health issues) she had our family cat, Tubby put down today. I knew this was coming, and said my "last goodbyes" to her when we were home this last time, but it was still really hard for me. I'm glad Philip was home to be with me. Here's a picture of Tubby:

Tubby Marie Woodford (yes, I gave her my middle name), was born in July 1993 in the middle of the night, under my brother Tim's dresser. I remember one of my brothers coming to wake me up, saying, "Tigger's having her kittens, come look!" That was soo exciting! Tubby and her four(?) siblings were the most darling kittens ever. We sold the other three and decided to keep Tubby. She was the fattest of the bunch, and as a kitten we jokingly called her "Chub". Well, her size didn't really change as she got older, so her name became Tubby. She was a great cat, and as my mom said, was the "purriest" cat ever! You only had to walk by her and she would purr (like a lawnmower!) She was a sweetheart and would often sleep with one of my brothers or I. She loved to lay on her back and have someone rub her belly, and would often fall asleep that way. Thankfully we have Many pictures and great memories of her, but she will be greatly missed...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Tubby, Joia. I know what it feels like, as it wasn't too awful long ago we lost poor little Scooter.
I'll be thinking about you.
Cheryl

Heather said...

Oh noooo! Tubby died! :o I'm sorry to hear that; I didn't know it was bound to happen so soon, but then again I haven't been down to Norwich in a while... sorry to hear & know that my thoughts & prayers are with you at this time.

Anonymous said...

Hey there Joia, I'm so sorry to hear about Tubby - I always found him to be a fascinating (sp?) cat - with the Tub and all. Anyways, remember him fondly :)
Laura :)

Mom W. said...

Tubby was actually born in 1993 when Tim went to Russia and yeah I think there were just 4 in the litter. It was awfully quiet around here this morning when she is usually howling around her bowl for more food. I didn't sleep well last night, feeling guilty about letting her go... Oh well, I DO believe it was best for her, just hard for us... Mom

Anonymous said...

hey Joia
Awww im so sorry to hear about tubby. Even though she didnt really like me all that much haha she was a great cat. I know its hard because it was march when we lost scooter and that was very sad. Anyway Im thinking about you. Love ya
Kristin

Joia said...

Thank you everyone for your kind comments regarding Tubby. To those of you out there who aren't "pet people", you wouldn't understand, but I appreciate those who do..