Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Wife, Mom... Lumberjack (Lumberjill?)

For quite some time we've been annoyed by a dead evergreen (everbrown) tree in our yard, but just hadn't got around to cutting it down. Philip hasn't really had time, so, today I decided to take matters into my own hands!

See how bad this looks? This sucker had to go... So, I ventured into "the underground" (the crawl space where all things lawn related are) and found a handy little pruning saw, that I think will do the job nicely...


(I'm a woman on a mission) Tree, you're goin' down!

It didn't stand a chance with my mad sawing skills..

I then dragged it across to the "island" that sits between three streets and added it to a large pile of brush that the neighbors have made (that I assume the city will pick up sometime). I probably should have kept going and just cut Everything in our yard down (which would be a Huge improvement), but, alas, I only have so much ambition for one day... =) I followed this little "yard improvement project" up with a dip in the pool with Keenan.

Cutting down old, dead, ugly things isn't the only thing I've been up to today...
This morning I went to Maas Coffee Roasters in Fort Walton Beach to meet up with some other moms from the MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group that I'm joining in August. The coffee shop is a small, privately owned, Starbucks-ish type place with quite a nice variety of drinks those who need their java. I'm not really into coffee that much myself, and was hoping for a frappuccino or something, but didn't see that on the list, so I got a mochaccino, which was okay, but was really waay too "coffee-ish" for me (and I hate coffee breath). I found out later that you can get frappuccinos there, they just aren't listed. It's a cute little shop, and also sells some yummy looking baked goods. They have a cute patio out back and lots of tables and space for eating/drinking and enjoying the day.
I was the first one to get there and was sitting out on the deck for probably ten minutes (and was starting to wonder if I had read the email wrong and maybe it was Next Tuesday!) before the first woman and her kids got there. In total there were five other moms and eleven kids. After we all got drinks, we went across the road to Fort Walton Beach Landing, a really nice park on the water, with a great play ground for the kids.

One of the pretty views from The Landing

All the other moms were super nice and it was cool to get to meet some people before my first MOPS meeting. I'm really excited about it, and from the sounds of it, the childcare people are great and Keenan's going to have a blast too! =)

5 comments:

Philip said...

Apparently this tree was bothering Joia a lot more than I knew!

mom-e said...

Apparently.........so in the future, you'll have to pay attention & just be careful with other things around there that she might not like either since she now knows the location of that saw! LOL.

Joia, you are amazing. Done with a true Canadian spirit (& I'll make sure Jeff knows that "they do have saws in ValP, eh?"

Love,
Mom E.

flakymn said...

That pic of you with the saw is HILARIOUS!

Anonymous said...

You crack me up Joia. I love that you do this blog. It makes me feel like I am right there with you guys. Sorry our little trip didn't work, but we are going to look at a calendar today to try to figure a better date out. Will let you know. Your sawing skills are off the chain (lol...chain...saw...) HAHA! Love you all! -Aunt Jessica

Joia said...

Good one Jess! =0)