Monday, July 16, 2007

Some firsts for Keenan


I can hardly contain my excitement... Keenan slept through the night for the first time last night!!! (He slept for 9+ hours and went 10 hours between feedings). Woohoo!
In his baby book it says, "First time slept through the night___________", followed by "How I felt about this_______", well, Hmmm... let me think about that, Uh, Ecstatic! It's awesome to finally sleep through the night for the first time in the better part of a year (since when I was pregnant, I was getting up multiple times in the night to go to the bathroom!)

Another first for Keenan is freezies. =) The other night, he actually took Philip's right out of his hand! He held onto it until his little hand got Quite cold!! He just wanted to be doing what Mommy and Daddy were doing, I guess.

So... last night Philip decided to let him "taste" his grape freezie. (Not really, Mom, don't freak out, Philip had sucked all the flavor out of the top and it was basically just ice). As you can see, Keenan wasn't a big fan! LOL

Last night, for Keenan's bath, I decided to try something different. As he gets bigger and more wiggly, it's harder and harder to hang onto the slippery little guy! So... I thought we'd try out one of his new pool rings. (This method takes about five times as much water, mind you, in order for it to actually float!) Keenan loved it, he could even scoot himself around the tub using his feet on the bottom!

It's so nice having someone around who thinks I'm funny. Never has anyone thought I was as funny as Keenan thinks I am (I should enjoy this while it lasts, because how many 9, 10, 15 year olds are there out there who think their mom is funny??) The most random thing will make him laugh so hard I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself or something ... BUT, if I try the same thing a few hours or a day later, he'll usually look at me like, "Uh yah, you already did that, and now it's soo not funny, Mom".

Here's a random question: Does anyone know if there are more verses to the song "Hush Little Baby"? I only know up to..... "if that billy goat runs away, Papa's gonna buy you another sundae", does it just end like that or are there more verses? Since the song isn't that long, I've resorted to making up my own after that, like... "if that sundae melts in the sun, Papa's gonna buy you a red cap gun. If that cap gun runs out of caps, Papa's gonna buy you some leather chaps. If those leather chaps don't fit, Papa's gonna buy you a doctor's kit. If that doctor's kit don't work, Papa's gonna buy you some beefy jerk, (beef jerky didn't rhyme). If that beefy jerk tastes "yuck", Papa's gonna buy you a rubber duck", etc... Yes, folks, this is what happens when you're home alone for 13 hours with a four month old! =) Philip calls this "Silly Songs With Joia" (like Silly Songs with Larry, from Veggie Tales) Although he has a pretty silly song of this own that he made up for Keenan (with dance moves and everything... for Keenan, not Philip), called "The Baby Jig". He doesn't usually do it in public, but if you ask, you might get lucky..=)

This video isn't something new for Keenan, but I figured I'd better get it up here before it's old news! (He just watched it with me and thought it was quite hilarious!) =0)

5 comments:

flakymn said...

Hush, little baby, don't say a word.
Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird
And if that mockingbird won't sing,
Mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring

And if that diamond ring turns brass,
Mama's gonna buy you a looking glass

And if that looking glass gets broke,
Mama's gonna buy you a billy goat

And if that billy goat won't pull,
Mama's gonna buy you a cart and bull

And if that cart and bull turn over,
Mama's going to buy you a dog named Rover.

And if that dog named Rover won't bark,
Mama's going to buy you a horse and cart.

And if that horse and cart fall down,
You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town.


P.S. I thought my mom was funny when I was 15 but not in a good way. :) Love you mom (she probably reads this blog -- she reads all the blogs attached to mine.)

Joia said...

Thanks Wendi! I guess I just got off track with the "billy goat".. I don't remember ever hearing those other verses... cool!

Denise said...

I found alternate words on Wikipedia - I swear they have everything on there!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hush_Little_Baby

Elizabeth said...

OH MY GOSH!!! He is just so cute, and SOOOO very clever!!! (Could be an engineer in the making, you know - figuring out what needs to be done, and finding a way to do it . . .)

Marleigh and Emily can't believe he's so big - and of course, they're sure he's the smartest baby in the world for figuring out how to give himself a thrill ride!

Elizabeth said...

OK - as to your note about how Keenan loves everything you do . . . I couldn't help but remember Melissa as a baby - and how incredible every interaction and response seemed to be. A very young cousin asked me once "what do you DO all day?", and all I could do was smile at her question - my days were SOOOO wonderful! Everything fascinated Mel, and yes, all her responses were delightful!

With Jordan, even Mel and Jess shared the joy of realizing how little it takes to bring real fun to a baby! We all agreed that we should practice being easier to tickle, quicker to delight in simple things, and generally choose to enjoy life more.

I think that's one of the greatest things I learned early on - that Mom, Dad and baby are ALL learning from each other - the question is whether I'm open to being taught! (that tends to vary day to day, and moment to moment! :O )

And yeah, they don't tend to think you're so funny as the years go by, and frankly, it's hard to take. Another good reason to remain focused on keeping your marriage strong - when the kids think you're hopelessly outdated, embarrassingly uncool, and totally committed to "ruining" their lives, the two of you can continue to convince each other that you're hip, "with it" and a lot of fun to boot!

And hopefully, one day, your kids will find you delightful once again - probably sometime after they've had kids, and can leave them with you to get some much needed "couple" time alone, and come back to find THEIR kids SOOOOO impressed with how great you are!!! (I'll let you know . . . )