Monday, July 23, 2007

A Rainy Monday

We got another huge rain today. I actually like it, it's nice to sit on the couch and watch it out the patio door. It's very "cozy" being inside and hearing the rain beating down outside.

I caught up on some ironing (one of my Least favorite household duties). What's with BDU (camo) uniforms having to be ironed, anyway? It just seems silly to me... Oh well, I'll gladly do what needs to be done, in order to send my husband out the door looking professional every day (and I gotta admit, he makes that uniform look Pretty good!) =)

Speaking of my least favorite things to do... I made several calls to USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) to verify that our address had been changed on one of my pending forms. They were (as per usual) less helpful than I would have liked, and I didn't really get an answer at all. This whole process (of the past several years) has been so frustrating and we will be very thankful when I am finally an American citizen and all of this is behind us. In the meantime though, we get an added dose of it, since we're also in the process of getting Keenan's U.S. passport, and working on his Canadian citizenship as well. Fun, fun, fun!! (Poor Philip, I'm sure he had no idea what he was in for when he picked this Canadian girl to be his wife!) =0/

Speaking of citizenship... at some point in the next year or so, I have to take some "Citizenship Test" to verify that I actually know a thing or two about this country I want to become part of. Philip says it's not going to be a huge deal, and I'm not going to need a degree in American history or anything, but I am kinda worried, and should probably start studying Something. I think I can probably name on one hand (okay, Maybe two hands) the number of President's names I can muster up, and that doesn't even include what Number president they were! Oh, this is sad... I just gave myself five minutes to name as many states as I could... and I could only come up with 33! After that (untimed), I could only think of 11 (and that was by going through the alphabet!) Leaving me 6 short! Sad, sad, sad... However, in my "search for the missing states", I came across this cool link, when you click on it, it immediately starts a ten minute timer and you have to fill in as many states as you can in the ten minutes (it will then tell you the ones you missed). Try it out, and tell me how you did! (I got all the spaces filled with two minutes to spare, but... I put Washington twice and tried to call New Orleans a state!) LOL! The 50 State Quiz


Okay, enough about that...I think I've decided I want to go back to contacts. I've had glasses since I was eight(?) and then got contacts when I was in high school, but ended up going back to glasses because the contacts (they were hard ones) were really bothering my eyes. Since I can get a free eye check up through our military coverage, I think I'll get a new prescription and give contacts another try. I really prefer myself without glasses, and if I get contacts then I can actually wear sunglasses here in this sunny place!

Here is a picture of me in my second pair of glasses...many moons ago (pre-braces as well). I stole this picture out of a scrapbook and couldn't figure out how our scanner works, so I just took a picture of the picture.














Keenan tried out some glasses today too! I don't think this is his best look... =)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I did the test and much to my American shame I only got 44 and ran out of time. That is embarrassing. You did well, I was impressed. Sweet baby. Love, Mom W.

flakymn said...

There's a song we Americans learn to name the states. It's the only way I can do them.

And Presidents? Oh my. Don't ask.

Joia said...

Mom, remember, I had Just gone through all of the states in my head before I did the test, so I had an unfair advantage! Besides, Dad "stole" you from the U.S. soo long ago, I don't blame you for forgetting a state or two! =0)

Philip uses the "State Song" too, it really helped him.

Mom E said...

Are those the glasses (on Keenan) the ones handed down from Isaac? If not, I can't believe there's 2 pair like that in the world. LOL.

Isaac knows all the states and their capitols, if you need some help. :-P

His mother does not, however, but I'm getting better because of him! see? it just proves, you're never too old to learn! foflol...

Love,
Mom E

Joia said...

Mom E,

Yes, those are the glasses from Isaac! Thanks!